Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, My vanis Laid up at the minute with a faulty Injector (07' 115dci Trafic) As some of you may know the removal of these injectors can be troublesome. Just discussing it with someone today who said his Mechanic would probably freeze it to take it out, Theory is that it shrinks Nuts,Splines,injectors etc leaving them easier to take out if they are sticky.
Just thgrowing it out there to see had anyone used,came accross or heard of this method being used before. I presume some form of liquid nitrogen or "pipe Freeze" would be what he meant. Sounds messy but if it was possible then anything is worth a try.

·
Administrator
13,149 Posts
The only thing I'd worry about is the rapid freezing and warming again will possibly crack the metal or cause hair line fractures.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I'd worry about is the rapid freezing and warming again will possibly crack the metal or cause hair line fractures.
Thats what i thought too. maybe an old bolt or something but i would imagine it wouldn't be the best stuff to be using near important engine parts. Always open to suggestions though @;)

P

·
0 Posts
I've used liquid nitrogen to fit items in the past but never to remove them. It can be a problem working with metals with different expansion rates.

In this case I dont think it would be the way to go, you might be better off going the other way and applying heat to the head.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used liquid nitrogen to fit items in the past but never to remove them. It can be a problem working with metals with different expansion rates.

In this case I dont think it would be the way to go, you might be better off going the other way and applying heat to the head.
Just thought i'd throw it out there to see. Think i`ll just stick to a long treatment with some penetrating oil and go down the traditional route. I can see how it would work for fitting something as you can isolate that particular element to freeze. Thanks For your reply.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
andy you really only have a couple of solutions
1:- adapt a slide hammer
2:- spark errode it out
3:- sorry about this one, remove the head throw it in the bin fit a new one with 4 new injectors, ive had to do this on a few now.:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I think I've posted this here before... :eek:

I don't suppose that's good for the engine mounts... Or anything else, really!

Renault replaced a whole engine (under warranty) on the last Trafic with a seized injector my dad's company had.

Reactions: AidyMc1

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I've posted this here before... :eek:

I don't suppose that's good for the engine mounts... Or anything else, really!

Renault replaced a whole engine (under warranty) on the last Trafic with a seized injector my dad's company had.
is that for real ????? At the risk of sounding offensive its like something a guy i Know (eastern european) and his mates would be at lol. I suppose whatever works,eh? Thinking about buying the Removal tool on ebay and giving it a good dose of penetrating oil over a period beforehand.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
is that for real ????? At the risk of sounding offensive its like something a guy i Know (eastern european) and his mates would be at lol. I suppose whatever works,eh? Thinking about buying the Removal tool on ebay and giving it a good dose of penetrating oil over a period beforehand.
I guess if you've tried everything else, including a more reasonable slide hammer, you've got nothing to lose trying. Still :crazy: (Although you've got to wonder why they didn't give up and pull the head before resorting to that!)

I hope you don't have to resort to anything that drastic :)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No further foward, Injector removal guy coming before the end of the week to remove it with Hydraulic Puller. says he can still take the piece out even if it snaps...... Fingers crossed & keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Hydraulic puller is the only way with these i tried and failed the tolerances used by nissan are so tight that the injector ends up stuck solid

I have seen the pichler tool in action and it gets them out they do sometimes break and have to be removed in pieces but it works and time saved alone is worth the cost your injectors are scrap afterwards but they will be scrap anyway by most methods :)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As long as it comes out i don`t care how many pieces. My Mechanic tried but didnt even get the bolt on the clamp undone. He siad he put a fair pressure on it but got cold feet eventually,afraid of snapping that before we got started. Removal guy seems confident though. Must go a source an injector. Local Diesel guys have said they have none at the minute.£220 for Recon Bosch & £260 new bosch. both plus VAT and on an exchange basis. Also see a new "genuine Bosch" on on ebay for £207 approx. would that be right? Either way i`ll be glad to get it sorted, working out of a 3 door hatchback car is no fun @;(

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
The guy removing the injector might be able to source them cheaper he was the cheapest for ours when we done it

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Injector out,in one piece too!!! thanks to Joe who also said he could take out the remainder of an injector if it broke during removal. Hoping the end of my Troubles is in sight. Get an injector now and get it stuck in and coded ....and fingers crossed!
IMG_5624.jpg

So if anyone looking for an awkward injector taken out in Northern Ireland ,private mail me and i will foward you his number.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Injector in and still no further foward. Still missing although a Deisel guy said it was possibly the washer. They are too hard and they don't seal properly. Also my mechanic took it too another guy with a computer who maintains there is still a fault with injector one. Could it be wiring although the noid lights seemed to suggest everything worked. Any suggestions are welcome, the other one I heard was that it might be a hole in the piston? Jeez,my head is spinning now,really peeved off at this stage as van is off the road from before Christmas!!!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So The injector i removed was supposed to be Number One but ends up it was number four after all THANKS RENAULT DEALERSHIP!!! Pity they can`t get someone to use a computer that knows how to use it!!! Number one (On my van anyway) was nearest the Timing-chain side. After the tricky process of removing the injector cap itself the injector broke whilst removing it. That was using the Pichler hydraulic tool and a 20t ram! The sleeve was still left behind and approximately 65mm of the injector which were both removed after a 160-odd mile round trip to the guys workshop. Ready for new injector now so.......could the end of my troubles be in sight. I certainly hope so after 6 months of trial and error and various opinions.

As my van has been almost idle for a while would there be anything i should change or replace apart from the obvious fluids and filters etc? Just thinking of things that may perish or deteriorate due to lack of use. Anything to watch out for?
Cheers Guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts