Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a recent problem on my car, covered in another topic, i'm going to need to replace the clutch.

The Haynes manual advises that during the process of taking out the gearbox, i'll need to use a support bar to support the engine. But, I don't have one and would like to avoid spending any more at this time, after replacing a driveshaft and clutch, and doing other maint, with the MOT and TAX due soon.... would using a trolley jack and a bit of wood under the sump be ok to use as support?

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Due to a recent problem on my car, covered in another topic, i'm going to need to replace the clutch.

The Haynes manual advises that during the process of taking out the gearbox, i'll need to use a support bar to support the engine. But, I don't have one and would like to avoid spending any more at this time, after replacing a driveshaft and clutch, and doing other maint, with the MOT and TAX due soon.... would using a trolley jack and a bit of wood under the sump be ok to use as support?
I'd rather use a ramp or similar and a block of wood, more stable and even more important, safe!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll support from underneath. I'll probably go for the trolley jack with some wood to spread the weight, and try to fit an axle stand too.

I read earlier somewhere else that some guy uses a scaffold pole, a few blocks of wood, some towels to prevent scratching of the paint, and a a seat belt as a homemade support bar. That guy sounds crazy :) I'm not that experienced to be confident in such activity.

I like the idea that you guys are confident it can be done from underneath. It sounds reasonable and nobody has shouted "no".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Only messing.
When you support the car, make sure its not resting solely on a Jack.
Heard too many storys of jacks collapsing and people gettin crushed
But deff use jack and timber to support engine during gearbox removal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.