Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some one kindly put a dent in my back door panel by opening their rear door onto mine :mad: . The dent was not big but was noticeable, especially by me!

I looked into fixing this, all the choices out there are quite expensive then I came across the Ding King product - yes I know, smacks of K-Tel, Ronco and JML put together. But being a sucker for a gadget I bought one for about £12.

Well I tried it today which was a bit scary. You basically stick a bolt to your car then pull it until the glue bond breaks. See - Ding King Dent Repair Tool it explains it better than I can.

My dent was small the kind created by a door edge but was right on one of the shaping lines in the door. I went through the process twice before the dent was pulled out. The instructions say that the process only works on the original undamaged paintwork - I suppose there is a chance it would pull resprayed paint off.

The fact it actually worked surprised me and is the reason I took no pictures I thought I was wasting my time, and the 'after' picture do not help as I don't think a photo will catch the slight ripple which is left - I had to point it out to my son as he could not see it.

Anyway at £12 it may be worth a try if you get something similar. I bought mine from Gift Ideas - Gadgets, Gifts & Fun Toys, Gadget Stuff - Cool Shop but there are other places selling the kit just google it if you are interested.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
A good find - I use a compressor-driven tool (called a Ding Puller), which operates on the same principle (except at up to 10 bar -ve pressure).

If you look closely at the dent which remains - check for any high spots - if you can see any, give it a gentle tap with a hammer onto a piece of dowelling, and then use the tool again - it may be enough to help pull it back into shape still further.

Paul:)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Good one, I bet you were having visions of driving around with a bolt stuck on your car, I have one small ding on a back door, I might give it a go.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Just to re-iterate the point that Davey made in his original post - the paintwork MUST be undamaged, otherwise the weakest link in this process won't be the glue - it'll be the paint.

You may be able to compound out some of the finer blemishes, but anything deeper will require tackling from behind the dent.

Paul:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
i went to a car show and watched dent busters doing their stuff, at £60 for the first panel and then the price goes down after that i was impressed .
i watched the bloke take out various door marks which where knocks from other car doors at tescos ect. and then reshape half a front wheel arch on a ford focus which had obviously been scrapped against fence ect leaving a long dent which was really impressive stuff , if you have loads of liitle dings around your car then this is the way to go as you wont need the car painting

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi there

spotted this while surfing.

i haven't tried it, so you do so at your own risk, but the risk is very low as the panel is already damaged. ;)

hth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts