Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change rear discs on Scenic and understand from Haynes manual that you have to remove hub nuts and renew them.

What size are the hub nuts, and where can you get them? Are they only available at Renault dealers?

I'm surprised I don't see them discussed in forums though anyone who changes discs must have had to undo/change them!

Thanks for advice,

Adrian

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Stratford - it depends on which type of replacement discs you are going to fit - as far as I remember the discs also act as a bearing carrier. The renault ones usually come with new bearings fitted. If you buy non OEM they usually come minus bearings and you need to change them over. The only source of new nuts is from renault bu tif you buy a replacement bearig kit they come with new nuts. As far as I remember the nut is 30mm and it is best to use a deep socket.:)
P.S. The nuts are special self-locking and are use-once only. When assembling use the old nut until your are happy everything is set right and then replace the old nut with the new and tighten to the correct torque - that way avoids having to reue the once-only nut.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for reply,

The discs I have were from GSF but they are actually Renault and come with the sealed bearings so that's easy.

passed a Renault dealer today and bought 2 of the hub nuts. They are 30mm exactly as you describe. They do have a rubber washer at top of thread but that may just act as a seal - I'm not certain it's actually self-locking.

Either way thanks for tip too about checking with the old nuts before tightening.

Now all I need is one of those adaptors to wind back the Scenic caliper piston...

Thanks,

Adrian

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Stratford - the rubber/nylon ring acts as the self-locking device. When th enew nut is screwed on it cuts its own threads into the nylon creating sufficient friction to prevent th enut from coming loose. Some of the decent motor factor do a cheap DIY version of th ewind-back tool or maybe you could borrow one. Good Luck. As a matter of interest what did you pay for the new rear disks from GSF.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts