Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

12 months ago, the anti pollution warning light was on in my Renault Clio (65 plate). After consulting with a couple of garages their diagnostic scanners were struggling to read the fault. Both mentioned that they think my ECU might have an electrical fault. Anyway, finally one garage was able to read the fault and subsequently the pre and post cat Oxygen sensors where changed.

The light went out but returned 6 months later. Today I have taken the vehicle to a garage and the diagnostics have reported, after a bit of trouble reading again -

DF083 - Downstream Oxygen sensor heating circuit Open Circuit
DF093 - Downstream Oxygen sensor circuit short-circuit to +12V

I mentioned that I had only had the sensor changed 12 months ago and they suggested maybe there is an ECU fault that's reporting it incorrectly, baring in mind the issues I have had when trying to scan the ECU.

Just to note, both Upstream and Downstream sensors where changed 12 months ago. The upstream was replaced with a dealer part whereas the downstream was replaced with a part from an independent website. It is the downstream now mentioned in the fault.

Can anyone advise what they think should be my next steps? Should I just have the downstream oxygen sensor replaced again? or is there a wider fault or some other things I should check out?

The car is Renault Clio, 2015. Only done 25k miles.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ste

Super mod..
Your post came up for approval..have read your post and approved it and its now live for comment..

Premium Member
Hi all,

12 months ago, the anti pollution warning light was on in my Renault Clio (65 plate). After consulting with a couple of garages their diagnostic scanners were struggling to read the fault. Both mentioned that they think my ECU might have an electrical fault. Anyway, finally one garage was able to read the fault and subsequently the pre and post cat Oxygen sensors where changed.

The light went out but returned 6 months later. Today I have taken the vehicle to a garage and the diagnostics have reported, after a bit of trouble reading again -

DF083 - Downstream Oxygen sensor heating circuit Open Circuit
DF093 - Downstream Oxygen sensor circuit short-circuit to +12V

I mentioned that I had only had the sensor changed 12 months ago and they suggested maybe there is an ECU fault that's reporting it incorrectly, baring in mind the issues I have had when trying to scan the ECU.

Just to note, both Upstream and Downstream sensors where changed 12 months ago. The upstream was replaced with a dealer part whereas the downstream was replaced with a part from an independent website. It is the downstream now mentioned in the fault.

Can anyone advise what they think should be my next steps? Should I just have the downstream oxygen sensor replaced again? or is there a wider fault or some other things I should check out?

The car is Renault Clio, 2015. Only done 25k miles.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ste
There are lots of aftermarket/garbage O2 sensors out there............ I am quite willing to bet that you, unfortunately, installed one of those.

I would replace the sensor with a proper Renault sourced unit and take it from there.

Both mentioned that they think my ECU might have an electrical fault.
Don't let anybody con you out of a lot of money with that statement when they cannot even fault-find the ECU properly or at least motivate their stance - you have yourself already proven via the 2 replacement O2 sensors that it's not the case .......... sure one of them is suspect again, but there is a reason for that.

As a male, I have a better chance of falling pregnant than the average ECU being faulty and in need of replcement :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
There are lots of aftermarket/garbage O2 sensors out there............ I am quite willing to bet that you, unfortunately, installed one of those.

I would replace the sensor with a proper Renault sourced unit and take it from there.

Don't let anybody con you out of a lot of money with that statement when they cannot even fault-find the ECU properly or at least motivate their stance - you have yourself already proven via the 2 replacement O2 sensors that it's not the case .......... sure one of them is suspect again, but there is a reason for that.

As a male, I have a better chance of falling pregnant than the average ECU being faulty and in need of replcement :unsure:
Thanks for your response, I appreciate the advice (y)

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
you kept that quite, what are you having, or waiting till the baby is 18 years old and letting the baby decide

1 - 6 of 6 Posts