Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this so please excuse if I have posted this in the wrong area...
I need some advice please...bear with me..
My Grandfather brought a Renault 21 GTS Symphony brand new many years ago, it's a E Reg, been garaged all it's life, and only done 5 and a half thousand miles....because he can't drive he now wants to sell it...but where do I start to value this car? And where/how should I sell it? should I just put it on Ebay and hope it sells? Any advice on this will be greatly recieved..
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions...

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

This is going to be a very difficult car to value,it's obviously low mileage and well cared for but as the car will appeal to such a small audience it's not going to command a great deal of money I'm afraid.

I guess eBay would be the place to start,it will definately get maximum exposure on there.You could also try and contact any Renault car clubs etc,and also put an advert for the car on here.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Its probably best to do a search on the internet Autotrader often as more realistic values than EBAY - it might be worth looking for a Classic Renault Club. I dont believe the 21 to be in real Classic territory yet it was quit a common car in its day you very occasionally see one about. I saw a 30 the other days being used to haul a carpet out and about, these cars have longevity - You could always try Ebay with a long listing and look for offers under £5k but that probably pushing the value I would think. I look at the listing for these Classic Dealers but your always looking at top values with them. I would say the length of the MOT will govern the value. Family cars that are non sport models do not have the same Kudos as sport models if this was the 21 turbo then you may be looking at more money

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
£5000 is definately very,very optimistic.

To compare,here is a nice and tidy 21 Turbo (more desirable than a non-turbo by quite some way) on eBay at the moment.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-RENAULT-...7270402?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4cf6271302

It's not mint but is tidy,£2750 seems pretty reasonable but like I said above,the amount of people that would be genuinely interested in it is so small that selling it for that amount is still tough.Unfortunately it's only worth what someone will pay for it and not how much it's worth on paper.:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree what i read about classics is that its mostly the desirable models that fetch the money. I had a 21 2litre auto about 10 years ago which for a bloke in there early 20's is an older blokes car but I enjoyed the cosseted ride and the fairly good acceleration + space. Unfortunatley the auto box failed and the head gasket went but it had cost me the grand total of £750 when i brought it. Preffered the Xantia Turbo diesel that came after it for 5k, it was in a different class.
You could try it as a weekend car but like the other bloke said its probably best listed with offers at around 2k but probably if in really good condition to be nearer the 1k mark to 1.5k mark.
French cars do have a addictive quality I like the ride and handling of most and haveing owned Xantia's, C5's, Zx Turbo's, 106's, 21's, 11, 5, Laguna's, Scenic etc I can say I love them above the German cars I have owned only Alfa's do I have equal respect for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

This is going to be a very difficult car to value,it's obviously low mileage and well cared for but as the car will appeal to such a small audience it's not going to command a great deal of money I'm afraid.

I guess eBay would be the place to start,it will definately get maximum exposure on there.You could also try and contact any Renault car clubs etc,and also put an advert for the car on here.:)
Did you sell it and how much for? Just wondering as I have a K plate 21 auto gtx in near mint condition ex raf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts