Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My question is could engine from a renault 4 be fitted in renault 5, of course without changing the gearbox because the gearbox isn't the same, the drive shafts wouldn't fit. Can the engine from R4 be fitted in R5 gearbox without changing much?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Going From memory I'd say yes. Some of the R5's used a lot of the same components as the R4.
Pretty sure that the cylinder blocks etc were the same so they should marry up to the R5 g/box.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've spent 3 days surfing the internet and found a lot of information but not the right ones :D. There are people who put renault 5 engine in renault 4 but bot other way around :D Thanks for the info!

G

·
0 Posts
I seem to remember that some engines on the 4, 5 & 6 rotated in the opposite direction, so you'd get one (slow) forward gear, but could do 80+ backwards:eek: unless you also swapped the 'box.

An alternative fix was to swap the final drive crown-wheel to the other side of the gear-box.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I get you greenside but I think that there shouldn't be a problem with the gears because only the engine is different, not the gearbox, and I cannot put the R4 gearbox in R5, it isn't possible because of the drive shafts. The gears should be the same because the same thing happens if you swap manual with automatic, the engine just drives the gearbox. Correct me if I am wrong? :confused:

G

·
0 Posts
If the engine is the same basic model, and rotates the same way, then you shouldn't have a problem. If I remember correctly, it would only be a problem if you were changing engine size as well, e.g. from 850 to 950 etc. Basically if your current engine runs clockwise, then your replacement also needs to run clockwise.

Richard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok know I get it! But are the bolts to the gearbox the same? Maybe I cannot bolt down the engine correctly?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have been here, there and everywhere and found a guy who said that I can just swap engines and that he is 100 % sure! Because the have swapped R5 engines into R4 and used R4 gearboxes and everything worked fine.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Are you referring to the Mark 1 R5? If yes, then the Answer is yes (and it's easy as they're both longditudinal fitment).
If it's a Mk2 R5 (with the transverse fitment) then I'm not certain. I'd probably ask Del at Renospeed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's form 1985 and I think it is called PH1 and the engine isn't like in R4, it is fitted from one side of the car to the other (transverse fitment as you called it). In R4 the engine stands in the middle from the driver to the front. So I have informed you wrong I guess?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'll need a gearbox very soon as my differential is making so much noisy. Today I found a gear box. On laguna II 1.8 16v, I looked the number and of course doesn't match because my own is 2.0 16V IDE :devil: .
I was wondering to remove it and then take just the differential and fit on mine.
Anyone knows if they use the same parts inside?
Thanks

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'll need a gearbox very soon as my differential is making so much noisy. Today I found a gear box. On laguna II 1.8 16v, I looked the number and of course doesn't match because my own is 2.0 16V IDE :devil: .
I was wondering to remove it and then take just the differential and fit on mine.
Anyone knows if they use the same parts inside?
Thanks
If the ratios are differant, then you will have to swap the main shaft and the diff, which means you will have to strip off all the gears and exchange them etc. not worth while, either fit the gearbox as it is and live with the differance in ratios or look for the correct one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks
I knew the ratio could be different, I was wondering to wap just the differencial but the mechanic said it's a big job. I'll sell the car anyway. The main thing is : the same gb £ 550 th one £ 30.I'll sell see.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts