Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 5 (1995 Campus Prima, 1.4 petrol) has been making a squealing noise for the past few months. It started off as a very quiet whistling when I needed to change gear, but since then has progressed to an obnoxious squeal, which sounds pretty much exactly like this: engine squeal vid.
The noise stops if I'm accelerating (if it feels like it, sometimes it's constant), but starts up again if I take my foot off the gas to slow down/change gear, and it carries on while it's sitting idle. When I turn the car off, it sounds like the jetson's car!

Has anyone got an idea what it might be? The fan belt used to be really noisy, but it's been replaced and this noise doesn't really sound the same as the fan belt noise, so I don't think it's that. However, my knowledge of car engines is seriously limited (I only learned to drive last Feb!), so it might be for all I know.

Any help would be much appreciated! It's horribly embarrassing going through town making all this noise, I get some funny looks! I've got to drive 600 miles tomorrow and I just hope the poor little thing will make it :)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Try running the engine for a short period with the fan-belt removed - that way you'll narrow the search. It could be an alternator bearing complaining.

If a bearing collapses or seizes yo may be left stranded.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for your advice! I'll see if I can badger a helpful person to help me get the fan belt off and have a listen next time it's being noisy :) It managed the 600 miles trip admirably phew!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.