Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has any one had this problem? I have just towed my new Pageant from a dealership to a stowage yard distance 7 miles max (I had just had a motor mover fitted).
Hooked up towed the caravan to the yard unhitched moved the caravan into place went back to the car Donk... wirrrr.... wirrr... flat battery.:steam:
The car is only 2 year 6 months old this has happened before when inflating two bicycle tyres using a battery powered tyre inflator you know the ones you plug in the cigarette lighter socket and had forgot to keep the engine running.
Donk.... flat battery had the AA out to restart it, he check the alternator and it is powering it OK but it looks as if the battery will not hold a sufficient charge so went to Renault dealer, sorry the warranty is only for two years on the batteries, how much for a new one £90 What!!!!:eek:
Anyone had this problem? Are the battery’s that are factory fitted so poor as to be useless in two years?
Car is a Renault Laguna II 1.9 Dci
Ps will go elsewhere for a new battery!!!!not Renault

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Has the battery been allowed to run flat at any point? Or has the car been off the road for any length of time where the battery may have been allowed to run flat?

One of my Lagunas went in for repairs after a rear-end shunt. It was off the road for three weeks. Shortly after getting it back, I was sitting in a car park just listening to the stereo for an hour or so, but when I came to start the car, it was dead.

By my reckoning, the repairer had allowed the battery to run right down and then left it flat for most of the two weeks. They'd just charged it back up to give it me back, by which time the damage was done.

P.S. I've moved the thread to the electronics forum, because even though it happened while you were using the caravan, it's a fault on the car's electrical system rather than the caravan's :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
In my experience I have found Renault original batteries to be excellent. The one on my Clio was in for 11 years before it gave up the ghost and the on my Laguna I have just replaced the battery and it is 6 year old. Both cars are diesels and are were used at least every other day. Car batteries don't like periods of inactivity they seem to last better when in constant use.:)

P.S. My recent purchase for the Laguna cost me £39 - and it has a 2 year guarantee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies,
I don’t think the car’s battery has ever been allowed to run flat or the car has been idle for any length of time, the tow hitch has the two outlets I had just had a new 110 amp leisure battery fitted in the caravan when they put the motor mover on, could it be that this new battery was demanding more from the alternator than was going to the car battery? It seemed to be fully charged from the gauge in the caravan.
As you can see I am a newbie to caravanning still learning the ropes, I disconnected the electrics from the car as soon as I parked so I don’t think anything in the caravan was draining the battery from the car.
But £90 for a battery Renault should be ashamed I did a quick trawl through the Internet and it seems the right battery (heavy duty) for the Laguna is around half that price and less.
The Renault mechanic said that even if you leave the curtsey lights on for a few minuets the battery will run flat, that’s not very helpful, I am starting to think the electrics where not very well planned if that’s the case.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Lancer - the power supply to the caravan system could be faulty whereby it wants to take all the charge from the alternator and the car gets none. My neighbour had a similar system whereby there is a dual charge relay which directs the charging current to either the car or van was faulty. If it were mine I would drive the car for a few miles without the caravan attached and see if the car starts OK. Additionally it may be worth getting the voltage output of the alternator checked.

P.S. Has your car got a dual charge relay system fitted:)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If you don't have the split charge relay, then the caravan will be draining your car battery whenever it's hooked up. Not so much for the leisure battery (this will only charge when the alternator's running) but the fridge is a killer.

But with the engine running, you should still get a decent charge to the car battery. I put an ammeter on the feed to the split-charge relay on my last car but one, and it rarely pulled more than 10 amps, even with the fridge on. To put that in perspective, it's about the same amount of power as your headlights would use on dipped beam. The alternator should still be able to kick out plenty to keep the main battery topped up, and the fact that the alternator is connected to the main battery using a short, very thick cable run means that the main battery will effectively get preferential treatment when charging if both batteries are low.

I got the impression that this was diagnosed by the AA as the battery failing to retain a charge even with the caravan disconnected. If that's the case, then the caravan may be putting additional strain on the system and highlighting the fault, but the underlying problem is still with the car battery.

As for leaving your courtesy light on for a few minutes being enough to kill the battery, that's ridiculous! I've accidentally left mine on overnight before now, and had absolutely no problems starting the car.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Battery Trouble

I have recently had Battery trouble with my Laguna. One day it would not start despite having used the car just an hour before. The RAC were excellent and confirmed the battery charge to be 11.5 volts. He checked the alternator which was charging ok then checked for any leakage of power but found none. He suggested a half hour run to put some charge in. Everything has been fine for about 2 weeks when the same thing happened again.
I thought I would make an enquiry about a new one and have had 3 quotations from leading suppliers.
a) £47
b) £74
c) £97
Can anyone tell me which option to take, all have 2 year guarantee. Is the cheapest one worth going for?
Thanks
Normc3943

M

·
0 Posts
Normc3943
A fully charged battery should read 12.5 volts at least and with the engine running the terminal voltage should be 13+ volts indicating the alternator is charging the battery and even if you switch on dipped headlights the voltage should not drop below 13v. The alternator should only put out less than 13.4 volts to avoid popping bulbs ( at least that what used to be the case when I was repairing alternators) If even after a period of chaging the battery reads less than 12.5 then it is not holding its charge and should be replaced check what sort is fited to your car as there are varying sorts (i.e. capacities measured in ampere hours like 110 Ah). All these figures can be tested simply with a cheap multimeter connected across the battery terminals. The price you pay is up to you considering such things as guarantee period and capacity.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Norm - diesel engines in particular needs plenty of oomph! when starting especially from cold. I have fitted the £47 variety in the past without any problems but if you wish to spemd more then I would try and fit the best output battery where possoble:)

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Interesting how a courtesy light will drain a battery so quickly...

When we go camping we run a couple of fluorescent strip lights, a little 12V TV and the air bed inflator from the car battery. I risked 3 days once without starting the car (a little silly perhaps) but everything was fine. I fitted a suitable battery from a diesel Megane (off the top of my head I can't remember the specs) which improved its cold starting abilities immensly, and i guess the heavier-duty nature of a diesel battery helps when using it as a "liesure battery" :)

Bob

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I hads a new battery fitted at a Renault dealers and the alternater checked for £45.00 2 years ago but mine is the petrol engine.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Thanks for the replies,
I don’t think the car’s battery has ever been allowed to run flat or the car has been idle for any length of time, the tow hitch has the two outlets I had just had a new 110 amp leisure battery fitted in the caravan when they put the motor mover on, could it be that this new battery was demanding more from the alternator than was going to the car battery? It seemed to be fully charged from the gauge in the caravan.
As you can see I am a newbie to caravanning still learning the ropes, I disconnected the electrics from the car as soon as I parked so I don’t think anything in the caravan was draining the battery from the car.
But £90 for a battery Renault should be ashamed I did a quick trawl through the Internet and it seems the right battery (heavy duty) for the Laguna is around half that price and less.
The Renault mechanic said that even if you leave the curtsey lights on for a few minuets the battery will run flat, that’s not very helpful, I am starting to think the electrics where not very well planned if that’s the case.
Hi sounds like a load of old bull to me off the renault mechanic you could leave your curtisey lights on all night with a good battery and it will still start the car the next morning i would check the price of the battery again with renault because it sounds a bit steep to me i have found in the past the renault batteries to be good value for money and 3 years warranty on the ones i buy Gareth.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I have recently had Battery trouble with my Laguna. One day it would not start despite having used the car just an hour before. The RAC were excellent and confirmed the battery charge to be 11.5 volts. He checked the alternator which was charging ok then checked for any leakage of power but found none. He suggested a half hour run to put some charge in. Everything has been fine for about 2 weeks when the same thing happened again.
I thought I would make an enquiry about a new one and have had 3 quotations from leading suppliers.
a) £47
b) £74
c) £97
Can anyone tell me which option to take, all have 2 year guarantee. Is the cheapest one worth going for?
Thanks
Normc3943

My Laguna 02 plate has had three batteries (including the original). The same symptoms - did not seem to hold charge. You would just come to it one day and it wouldn't start. The original battery and the first replacement were 'standard' 50Ah.

I've now fitted a 75Ah high power from Halfords. I needed it quickly and considering the delivery charge on the Internet it wasn't too much more (£99). It comes with a 4 year guarantee.

Although I have a petrol engine it's an IDE with high compression so I thought a high starting current (like a diesel) would help. It now sounds completely different starting.

In my case the car gets little use on a daily basis with short trips. I've also noticed that on idle the battery terminal voltage drops suggesting that the alternator does not supply much current at 780rpm.

Also note that the push button start will not engage even if the terminal voltage is high enough to drive the starter (10.5V).

The other thing is the sheer number of auxilary circuits. Just unlocking and placing the card in the auxilary position switches on all interior lights, the sat nav, climate control amongst others. I bet the battery drain is close to 10 amps like this.

Ian

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Maybe the Renault mechanic was referring to all the curtesy lights which can be up to twelve (roof lights, footwell lights, door lights, etc) 5 watt bulbs on some models. I have seen this happening during valeting where all doors and boot lid can be open for extended periods of time.:)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I never had trouble with my battery but.....

Same happened to me at Farnborough airshow with my Scorpio, sitting in the car watching the display, hot day, doors open for a few hours.

Car would not start, flat battery.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Thanks for all your replies which were very interesting. I did ring local stealers I mean dealer. Price quoted from spares was £90 I asked what fitting would be and he thought that would include fitting. Then spoke to servicing who after laughing at my stupid question quoted £45 for fitting. When I queried the high charge, he rambled on about setting the computer up again. I ask what he meant and he said radio, clock etc. I declined his service and opted for the £47 fitted price at North East Tyres and Exhausts. Bingo, fitted in 15 minutes then everything worked fine, even the clock adjusted itself to the correct time. All I had to do was put in the radio code. I appreciate that a £90 battery could be heavier quality but the £47 one works just fine.
Thanks again for everyone's input, proving once again this site is a mine of information from genuine Renault users.
Normc

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Norm - I agree with your sentiments regarding the battery - comparing the two prices in essence means you could probaly fit three batteries for the price of one. I fitted the cheaper type about six months ago and to date everything is OK - I wait until the frosty mornings for a full test.:)

P.S. I am starting to get the impression dealers couldn't F**T without charging a computer fee.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts