Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January 2011 I bought a second hand Renault Clio DCi 02 reg. I paid almost £2k for it at the time and it was MOTed and a new timing belt fitted. There has been no issues with the car in the short space of time I have owened it.

The warranty from the garage I purchased it on has run out and last week while my partner was driving the car he heard a pinging noise and then the car broke down. When he looked inside the Auxillary belt appeared to have come off but he couldn't see it anywhere.

It has been at the garage for almost a week and they haven't properly looked at it but when I rang today to try and press for how long it would take and get an estimate of the price the guy stated to me due to the car's age it would not be worth repairing and they suspect the auxillary belt has snapped and damaged the engine and timing belt.

I am obviously extremely distressed because I am on a low paid job and it took me a long time to save up to buy the car and its scrap value is £140 at best and We Buy Any Car said they would only give me £250 for it.

I am willing to pay for a new/reconditioned engine but the garage seem very reluctant to tell me the cost of this but I want to know if its an option because of the hassle of having to buy another car and change insurance policy etc. Is it worth getting the engine replaced and roughly how much would this be? Or do I have to cut my losses and accept I've just lost £2000?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

I strongly suspect your engine could be repaired for around £500-£600,unless it has damaged the pistons it will only be a case of removing the head,replacing the damaged valves and then refitting it with a new belt kit.

A decent second hand engine with a warranty,fitted with a new clutch and belt will be around the £1000 mark,a recon engine of a decent standard will be around twice that fitted.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Firstly it would be wise to ascertain the timing belt has actually failed. If so then there will be engine damage - the best case scenario being it has bent a few valves. Only by removing the cylinder head will you actually be able to determine the full extent of any internal damage.
It may be possible to have the valves repaired and I would expect the cost of such to be in the region of £600 to £800.
If not repairable and it needs a replacment engine then the price quoted is about right.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I don't think they've properly looked at it yet but the way the guy behaved it was as if it wasn't worth fixing.

Do you know how this might have happened at all or is it just pure bad luck? A new timing belt was fitted by the garage we bought it from and I noticed someone else on the forums had a similar problem with theirs to mine after that had been done...

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The auxillary belt should have been changed at the same time as the timing belt,I'd ask for proof that this was done and if it wasn't I'd have said you have a decent cause to claim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For proof would I require the logbook for the car? Or do I just check with the garage that originally fitted the timing belt?

Sorry for asking all these questions but I really know nothing about cars and I love my car and don't want it scrapped after only owning it for 4 months and working perfectly :(

My partner said when the car broke down he looked into the engine and the timing belt was DEFINITELY intact only the auxillary belt was missing so is this a good sign?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I know is we have the Haines manual and he showed me the picture and said that'd he'd looked in the engine at the timing belt and that it looked like the picture.

He's also just told me that when breakdown recovery picked us up they looked along the road and did find shredded bits of auxillary belt.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
All I know is we have the Haines manual and he showed me the picture and said that'd he'd looked in the engine at the timing belt and that it looked like the picture.

He's also just told me that when breakdown recovery picked us up they looked along the road and did find shredded bits of auxillary belt.
But where the timing belt covers for a close look??:)

L

·
0 Posts
As you purchased from a garage, it would be worthwhile contacting Trading Standards even though the given warranty has expired. (Sale of Goods Act 1979 as ammended)

If indeed it's simply that the auxhilliary belt has snapped, that would unfortunately just be down to bad luck, however if the cam belt has snapped, and you can prove that they claim it was changed, they would have to prove that it indeed was.

What I find hard to understand, you say your partner is sure that the cambelt is intact, yet the garage you have taken it to say the damage is beyond economical repair, unnless the auxhilliary belt snapped and took out the cambelt (which can happen) there is no damage other than that which could be so serious.

I'd suggest you take the car back from the garage and get another garage or mobile Mechanic to take a look.

Just to be sure, did the car stop instantly when it broke down, or did the engine keep running?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts