Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first-time poster here. Not sure if I should've posted in the Electrics section or not, so I apologise in advance if I'm in the wrong place. I've used the site countless times in the past and found loads of vital info that's kept my car running... Until now!

I was driving earlier, and changed gear to turn off of a roundabout. As I pulled into the lane, my car just revved loudly, so I assumed I missed my gear-change. I tried putting it into gear again, and it did the exact same thing when I pushed down on the accelerator... Suddenly I had lights flashing at me from all across the dashboard until my car just died completely. And when it did, it was displaying the little box with a coil under it, whatever it is. But that went away when I tried starting it again. This has happened before, but I just let it rest for a few minutes and it started fine and went months without any trouble.

But not this time... Normally when I try and start my car it does a low growl before the engine turns over, but now it's just turning over repeatedly but really high-pitched compared to normal. Tried bump-starting a couple of times, but it didn't even attempt to bite... Went to tow it only to find out I didn't have a tow ring, so I had to abandon it at a bus-stop...

The oil is fine, if a tiny bit low. The battery isn't far from brand new. The car itself was pretty battered before I got it but always ran perfectly fine. I'm not hugely knowledgable about cars, but I'll try and be as informative as I can be when you throw questions at me!

It's a petrol 1.2 Grande Elf if that's any help. About 56,000 miles if I remember rightly... If anyone has any advice, I'd be massively greatful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would have done if I have any idea what I'm looking for, lol. I don't really know that much outside of the driver's seat. My dad used to be a mechanic, but he's not in the country at the moment or I'd get him to have a look... Sorry to be so unhelpful.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Would have done if I have any idea what I'm looking for, lol. I don't really know that much outside of the driver's seat. My dad used to be a mechanic, but he's not in the country at the moment or I'd get him to have a look... Sorry to be so unhelpful.
Thats fine.:)

I'd put good money on it being a belt failure I'm afraid,the fact that it's turning over on the starter faster than normal is a dead give away.

An expensive repair is almost certain I'm afraid,best to lock the car up and wait for your Dad to take a look when he comes back.It'll be a nice welcome home present for him.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was really hoping it would've been something as simple as needing a new sparkplug. But it's never that simple, is it... Heh. I'll see what he says and post the results. Thanks for the quick replies fellas. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.