Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a W reg 1.4 16v Clio. It runs fine but occasionally refuses to start. Sometimes I stop for fuel and find it won't go but if I leave it for a few minutes it starts OK. It happens also when the engine is cold. Any suggestions? This is happening a couple of times a week.

Cheers Dennis

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This sounds a bit like a TDC sensor problem.

The TDC is located on the left side of the engine above the bellhousing and is held in place by 2 x 10mm bolts. Remove the sensor and give a wipe, also check the multiplug connector then refit and try again.

For more info type "TDC" into the search box located on the orange bar above the posts.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My clio also has starting problems...HELP!

Hello, I'm new to this forum and also a girl so please if you can help me in any way...please explain it simply!!!!

I love my 2001 1.2 clio but over the past 6 months or so it keeps refusing to start first time. This only ever happens in the morning and it only happens every once in a blue moon. I thought it might be spark plugs so I had them replaced but no joy. I then cleaned my fuel with a fuel line cleaner which appeared to have worked for a a few weeks but then back to not starting. I had cleaned the fuel again recently but the problem is persisting and more recently getting worse. :mad:

It will start the second time I try and turn it over but this morning it took 8 attempts!!!!

PLEASE have you ANY suggestions. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its a sept 2001 Clio Expression 16v (petrol). I read elsewhere that the battery in the key fob could need replacing as when it starts to run out it has enough power to unlock the doors but struggles to get the immobliser off when starting. Do you think this could an option?

Will try to have a look at what you've suggested though. I just want it fixed!!!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly....very impressed!!

;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Lisa,
My starting problem sounds very similar to yours. I had the AA come out to get me started - they couldn't but plugged in a laptop and the fault was the crank sensor (or Top Dead Sensor, same thing). I picked one up my dealers today for just over £25. It came in two bits 1) The sensor itself and 2) a new electrical connector which has to be joined to the old wiring. It's not a terribly hard thing to do, in the bag supplied were two heat shrink tubes so the join will be waterproof.
If in doubt get a trusted mechanic to come round to you to do it, it's a 15-20 minute job so shouldn't cost the earth.
Good luck!

Steve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fixed!!!!

Hi there, just to let you know that I went to see my mechanic yesterday and after running the computer through my car the fault was actually the battery!!! The power coming out of the battery was half of what it should be! New battery went in and since then (touch wood) I've had a much better running and starting car!! Cost me £45 so didn't break the bank too.

Thanks for all the advice though. Much appreciated. :rofl:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi not sure if my problem is something similar to what you have had or not but my clio wouldn't start for the first time in 3 years a couple of weeks ago. But lately when turning it on it has been juddering quite noticeably and the rev counter doesn't stay put but wavers a lot. It stalls on its own accord and is extremely difficult to pull away without stalling or revving loudly to counteract this. The car jolts if I put my foot even gently on the accelerator or take it off. This happens before the engine heats up and is fine after about 10-15 minutes of driving. Hope someone can help or have an idea what is wrong! Thanks Hannah

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
We had a the same problem (i think) if you could tell me if u have a light flashing that looks like an engine? if so it could be your plugs but the most likely problem is your leads or coil pack (ours was coil pack) as this is a common problem with clios. our car was running on 3 cylinders because 1 coil pack failed, this bade the car virbrate alot, rev cout was all over the place. my advice to you is to get it sorted asap as driving on only 3 cylenders is not only unsafe, it puts strain on the engine whick could blow the engine. hope this helps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Renault Scenic 1.4 - Engines - Intermittent starting fault

My mum has a 2000 scenic and for the last month have had alot of trouble starting the car, soetimes it will start 1 time other times it will just turn over but not start.
We have had the car in the garage a couple of times and they have done adiagnstic check but everytime it comes back as no fault found.
The car has decided to start yesterday, but we know it will do this again. The guy at the garage surgested we take it to a dealer to get them to do a diagnostic check on it and see if they find a fault, but this will cost alot of money.

Do you have any idea what the problem is, as they have now refused to look at the car as they can find no fault at all.

I have read on your forum that a few people have had the same problem, do you think it is the tdc sensor? if so where is it located, and do you think this will sort the problem out as it is driving us mad!

I hope someone is able to help us with our problem! :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts