Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm new here and wondered if someone might be able to help me. My '97 Clio not so recently failled it's MOT with very high emissions and I have been looking into getting some software and running a diagnostic.

I've read articles online about the OBDII and EOBD ports only having been fitted to post 2001 cars in Europe and since mine is a '97 I assume there isn't one fitted, am I right? Is there a different type of port on this model for enging diagnostics and if so, could you point me in the right direction please..?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Do you still have the emissions data sheet?

If so,if you can post the results we might be able to help you diagnose it without having to go to the expense of buying the kit to read the ECU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick replies guys. Ah cool, I will have a look for it. I did wonder if it might be the lambda sensor.

Yeah I do still have the emissions data sheet, Im not sure how much of it to include but I hope this helps:

Engine Oil Temperature - OK

Fast Idle Test

CO Level - 3.63% FAIL (Max 0.30)
HC Level - 271 ppm FAIL (Max 200)
Lambda - 0.92 FAIL (Min 0.97, Max 1.03)

Second Fast Idle Test

CO Level - 4.05% FAIL (Max 0.3)
HC Level - 323 ppm FAIL (Max 200)
Lambda - 0.90 FAIL (Min 0.97, Max 1.03)

Natural Idle Test

CO Level 0.39% PASS (Max 0.50)

Overall Result Emissions Test - FAIL

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I would definately start with a Lambda sensor.:)

Avoid fitting a universal one where you have to cut and join the wires,try and source an aftermarket one with the correct plug on it.Prices vary around the £50 mark.I would sort this out sooner rather than later as the car is seriously over fuelling,and if left the cat will give up the ghost too,which makes the job much more expensive!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah cool, cheers man. Ok, cool. Yeah it's been off the road and hasn't been run since the MOT failure as I haven't had a chance to sort it out for a while but plan to soon.

Cheers for the advice dude, yeah will do! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,

Yeah, sorry I did mean to update this thread as I managed to get the car finished. For the emissions and just so it was nicer in general I decided to change the HT leads, spark plugs (turns out the ones in there were for the wrong engine hah), dizzy cap, rotor arm and did an oil change as well as changing the lambda sensor.

This was all easy except for the lambda sensor which was a bit of a mission. I have the E type engine and space around the lambda sensor was pretty minimal, so I couldn't get a spanner round it (nor did I own a 22mm spanner) or a socket due to its length and the connector at the end.

What I had to do in the end was cut of thee connector via the wires and hacksaw the actual sensor part in half, or at least enough to get a deep socket round it and then extract it that way. Thankfully putting the new one in was much easier than taking the old one out as it was possible to use the open end of a 22mm spanner on the nut.

Most importantly the car then passed the emissions test during the MOT, but sadly the garage found new things to fail it on - the ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤s! haha. Also I wasn't actually able to take advantage of the companies who sell aftermarket sensors as it were because I wasn't able to find the engine code anywhere and the part number I gave them didn't match up with their stock. So in the end I had to buy from a Renault dealer for 111quid :(

Wooa long response, hope it helps. Thanks to all who offered advice to me on this. :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thanks for the update Tom.:)

Your information could be helpfull to another member,excellent work.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts