Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 Clio Diesel.
The full beam headlights have stopped working.
Fuses OK.
With the ignition OFF the full beam 'flash' works OK!
So must be the column switch or a relay somewhere?
Has anyone come across this before and have any advice?
Any one have a wiring diagram or manual I can find on line for free?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
Sounds a good one!

Did you look at the fuses or pull them out and check then put back in?

Cant help re wiring diagram though pal

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuses OK, no lights

Yup I pulled the fuses and checked they are OK.
There's a fuse for each so I guess unlikely they'd both blow...

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
All I meant was in older cars (mine included) Its not always the fuse. The conector blocks they fit in become oxidised and loose there connectivity.

Taking the fuse out and putting it back in kinda cleans up the connection. Much like rolling batterys in a remote!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Just found another thread where the same problem was found to be the column switch. Apparently a common problem where it doesn't 'lock' into the full beam position when the ignition on. I think is probably right because I notice the switch doesn't have any mechanical click when pulled either.
Off to find a switch....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I think I have the same problem with my 1991 Clio. The full beam works when I want to flash the lights, as long as the headlights aren't switched on. If the headlights ARE on, I have no full beam, and cant flash. Does this mean I need a new stalk????
And if so, how difficult is this to repair?
What do I need to do?

I hope someone can give me some advice cos I am a pauper and not used to woking on cars. :confused:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

It does indeed sound like a light stalk problem,these aren't difficult to replace but finding a good second hand unit to fit could be.It is a common problem unfortunately.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for replying! :d I'm gonna see if I can track one down from a breakers, although I'll probably need some advice about what to do when I've got it! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well it wasn't easy to track down a breakers, they seem to be disappearing nowadays, I drove to one in Deptford that I've been to loads of times before but not even a greasy nut and bolt to be seen! It's now ANOTHER Hand Car Wash place. I managed to find another breakers though, and got a second hand stalk for £15. Luckily my new bloke was with me and offered to do the honours, and had the new one on in a few minutes (was easy to do!). Hooray I now have full beam headlights!
Thank you for your help. Only need to do the blowing exhaust, leaky sunroof and cold heater now. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts