Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post so hello everyone :eek:

recently i have had much trouble with my 1997 MK1 clio 1.2 petrol RL, due to it not starting under various conditions. i have done the obvious things: replaced the battery and replaced the spark plugs as it had a lot of trouble cold and wet starting.

For about two weeks it worked like a dream starting every time, but in the last couple of days it has cropped up again.

In the last week there has now been two occasions where i have parked it for 45 minutes after a long drive, came back to turn the key and got NO response at all. however, after it had happened the first time i had left my car parked for hours in the cold rain and it started first time.

After push starting it, I went to the shop where i bought the battery and got it checked out. There seemed to be no problems with battery itself, or the alternator. i have SOME reason to believe that it is not my starter motor, as i have ran a very brief test to try and diagnose it. this leads me to believe that it may be something to do with my electrical connections...but if so, why does it start under horrible conditions after hours being parked, and then not start after 45 minutes??

I do apologise if i have not included anything essential, but i would REALLY appreciate any responses! as i am starting to get pretty skint paying out for this thing! thanks a lot in advance, ben :d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Firstly,check the connection to the starter motor where the small wire (the exciter wire from the ignition switch) connects to,they have a habit of corroding and causing the exact same problem your suffering from.

If that seems OK,then find and check all earth straps between the engine/body/battery for good connection,they too have a habit of corroding.

If all of that still fails,then you need to connect a test light in the exciter wire circuit at the starter motor end and this will tell you if there is power getting to the starter when the problem occurs.From here you can then see if it's an intermittant problem with the starter it's self (light illuminates,engine doesn't turn over) or something in the ignition switch/wiring to the starter (bulb doesn't illuminate when ignition turned to the start position).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much for your reply!! very much appreciated. i will do my best to check them out as soon as possible, then let you know the results! :d

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey,
i managed to diagnose my car by checking the wire to the starter motor. unfortunately it was severely corroded :( so i took it to the garage where they told me that my solenoid was also gone! they just replaced the starter motor with a fresh one, and now it is running like a goddess!
thank you so much for your reply!! it was genuinely really appreciated :d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts