Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

i'm new here so please bear with me:confused:

my g/f Sophie has a Clio and about 5 months ago she knackered the engine (timing belt went)

i've picked up a replacement engine but it's not quite the same (both mark 2 Clio engines but the one i picked up is a bit later)

does anyone know if it is straight swap

original engine T reg MK2 1999 i think

Newer engine 2001

any tips or advice gratefully received

thanks

Danny

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Mk 2 Clio Engine Swap 1.2

Personally, i would change every sensor, bit of plastic, and all ancilleries from your existing engine and swap it all over.
You only need one sensor to have a slightly different reading range and it can cause all sort of grief.
Strip everything back to just the head and the block, then put it all back together and you'll have no problems that i can see.
Also, do the timing belt , tensioners and water pump while it's out, and obviously oil fiter and oil change.
Personally i always whip the head off and do the headgasket too, but thats personal preference really

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for that Dan that's pretty much what my mate that's doing it thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

We're about to start this tomorrow, does anyone have anything else to add to dan the van man's excellent advice

cheers

D

·
0 Posts

Refitting is reverse of removal..........:d

Are you taking engine and box out in one through the top, or subframe off and underneath?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

my mate's got an engine lift so i suppose it'll be through the top?

i'm guessing that should be easiest? ??

D

·
0 Posts

I always do them through the top where possible.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Yeah through the top is the easiest way for clio IIs. I usually remove the bonnet, bumper and headlights to give more space and avoid devestation should the chain on the engine crane slip

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've just swapped a K4J, removed the subframe and dropped it out of the bottom, not too difficult, you could use to crane to lift the car over the engine.

I wouldn't have been able to seperate the engine from gearox with it in the car as a couple of studs were very tight, i had to wind them off using the two nut technique.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts