Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I picked up Clio 182 yesterday, a couple of things wrong, like heater fan not working, a rattle from exhaust on tickover, but my main concern is on real hard acceleration i.e. 6/7000 revs well I would say it was a white smoke from exhaust! The car is under warranty and I love it, any ideas so that I can go back and sound knowledgeble about the car would be much appreciated. :toast:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: New Car

How old is this car?
Heater fan could be the rheostat in the fan casing. (Card like device with varying thicknesses of wire coils on it (typical) which control the current on each fan speed setting.) These coils can break over time usually leaving only the fastest speed working.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Re: New Car

The exhaust rattle can be a number of things; loose mountings, loose heatshield or worst case scenario - catalytic converter failing - you'd really need to get underneath to eliminate the first 2 possibilities before you can determine cat failure.

HTH

Paul

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I wouldn't have thought so - the catalyst when it starts to collapse internally will still function, its just that it can start to rattle in the can as bits fragment and it becomes loose fitting.

White smoke is normally percieved as steam - has the car been standing idle for some time (condensation build-up in the exhaust), or was it particularly cold when you noticed this?

Paul

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Best of luck.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts