Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1152 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Anyone heard of any problems with the bonnet catch on Clios? My bonnet opened while I was driving along at 60 mph and caused £2,500 worth of damage even though the interior bonnet catch had not been pulled.

All information gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique 2001 bonnett catch problem

Hi there
Christmas eve 2005 the same thing happened to me. 70mph on the outside lane of the motorway, my bonnett hit my windscreen. Internal catch was not pulled. Damage is £3400, car is worth £3125 according to insurance company. I now have no car! A reliable source informed me that a clio was seen on the M5 on 23.12.05 with the same problem. If this is you, please come forward. I am an AA member and am currently seeking legal advice. What can we do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
same thing happened to me yesterday, driving along at about 50 and bonnet flew open, smashed windscreen and roof, estimate is £2,450 worth of damage, car isn't worth that!!
have either of you had any luck getting feedback from renault?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

I was flicking through the channels on TV and a report about a Renault Clios appeared on watchdog. It was about faulty Bonnet catches. They were talking to a woman who had her bonnet flie up and smash her windscreen. She did some research about and said she had found other people had had this happen to them as well. Then all of a sudden there was a shot of her on the computer and there it was a shot of the renault forum. What an advert prime time BBC1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watchdog - plastic bonnet catches

I assume people saw this?

Basically said that 1997 to 2001 Clios have plastic bonnet catches and have a tendency to fail, causing the bonnet to blow up onto the windscreen at speed. Scarey stuff.

They said that after 2001 models, a new, metal catch was introduced, which is safer. Which pretty much proves that those before were unsafe. QED.

My Clio is a 2003, but i've just been to look and the bonnet catch looks like black plastic to me. I certainly don't have one of the metal loops there should be with the new catches.

What should I do? They were saying it needs "maintenance" but who the heck maintains a bonnet catch?! I wouldn't even know how! Saw on another forum someone advising WD40 but that sounds to me like it could make things worse not better!

</panicky rant> :eek: :confused:

P.S. hi. i'm a newbie. sorry for just jumping in. hello! *waves*

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. :) :)

A bonnet catch should be regulary lubricated to make sure it doesn't stick. This should be part of routine maintanance. As for it being plastic then yes that is a joke.
Another Renault quirk that I think is going to cost them dearly.:( :( :(

Kind regards Oilyrag:)

S

·
0 Posts
em6 said:
I assume people saw this?

Basically said that 1998 to 2001 Clios have plastic bonnet catches and have a tendency to fail, causing the bonnet to blow up onto the windscreen at speed. Scarey stuff.

They said that after 2001 models, a new, metal catch was introduced, which is safer. Which pretty much proves that those before were unsafe. QED.

My Clio is a 2003, but i've just been to look and the bonnet catch looks like black plastic to me. I certainly don't have one of the metal loops there should be with the new catches.

What should I do? They were saying it needs "maintenance" but who the heck maintains a bonnet catch?! I wouldn't even know how! Saw on another forum someone advising WD40 but that sounds to me like it could make things worse not better!

</panicky rant> :eek: :confused:

P.S. hi. i'm a newbie. sorry for just jumping in. hello! *waves*
You feel free to jump right in!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/transport/transport_20060425.shtml

Wish we could get some sort of link from Watchdog

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
They also said that on the ones reported the bonnet wasn't actually shut properly. Whose fault is that, the owner for not checking or renault for not making a decent catch

Apparently it could affect ALL clios built between 1998 and 2001. So if any of you own a clio of that era it would be prudent to go to your local garage to get the catch looked at.

S

·
0 Posts
SportTourer said:
They also said that on the ones reported the bonnet wasn't actually shut properly. Whose fault is that, the owner for not checking or renault for not making a decent catch

Apparently it could affect ALL clios built between 1998 and 2001. So if any of you own a clio of that era it would be prudent to go to your local garage to get the catch looked at.
Yep - that's a good point...

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
you should say that you will help them and provide a support base for clio owners who have expressed concerns to them that should get you a link

1 - 20 of 1152 Posts