Independent Renault Forums banner

1101 - 1120 of 1152 Posts

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Don't know why it annoys you.

I am reporting back on what the Renault dealer has done. They oiled it!

They haven't changed anything and I have no proof that I have had it checked by them in case something happens in the future and I have to refer back.

Basically I could have oiled it myself and there would be no difference.

I have a Mazda. When that went in for a safety check a reference label was attched to the bulkhead and the service book was annotated. The Renault franchised dealer (who I won't name) did not do the same and that's what I'm criticising.

I'm sorry you don't aprove of my critisism, I thought that's what forums such as this are for - to share experiences with others.
You were sharing your experience, and so was I.

At the end of the day, a sticker placed under the bonnet only means it was oiled/greased on that day - unlike a cambelt change (or some other item with a recognised service life), it really is the owner (or their servicing agent's) responsibility to ensure it operates safely from this point forward.

Having worked for a manufacturer, I know that it is a thankless task whereby one-off failures are seen as premature & due to a manufacturing defect, and failures that affect commonly-shared components are seen as a 'known concern/issue' - either way, the customer uses those arguments to absolve themselves of the responsibility which comes from owning & operating their own vehicle.

I'm sorry your time was wasted by the dealer, and by myself in prompting you to reply.

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
..,just had my official notice re -recorded delivery to go to my local dealer and get my bonnet catch checked,

If it needs replacing, it costs ME a max of £95!!!:eek:

Wota carry on!!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,844 Posts
Noticed a Mk 3 ? Clio are they the latest one going pasted the other day and the bonnet was on the safety catch rather than fully closed, probably just a one off but worth keeping a eye on.
Wounder how they are deciding who gets it done free and who has to pay, it's decided by Renault according to the dealer I visited and several prices seem to be involved, odd.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
..,just had my official notice re -recorded delivery to go to my local dealer and get my bonnet catch checked,

If it needs replacing, it costs ME a max of £95!!!:eek:

Wota carry on!!

Received the same letter today,more Renault covering their backside , than a a MUST go to dealer, but to check it and lubricate. The alternative is to go to the dealer.

Renault also state , " a correctly maintained bonnet mechanism is a key element of your vehicles annual MOT and must be checked during the test"

The last time I had a letter it was a definite recall to go to dealer, and the catch was replaced free!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't had my clio very long and got a urgent safety message from Renault asking me to contact them about the bonnet catch, I called my local Garage (SMC Renault Aldershot) they booked me in for the following day and replaced the catch for a new one free of change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I couldnt afford to get mine replaced. All they done was oil it for me.

How are some getting it replaced free?

Its now a worry on my mind and Im looking for the parts to replace it myself.

Is it both the lock and catch which need to be replaced ?

I dunno what to do. Can find a genuine part for the catch, but nothing reasonably priced for the top lock/secondary catch...

·
7,844 Posts
When mine was inspected I was told it would be free, I asked the dealer why mine said free and others had to pay, some seemed to have to pay more than others they said they did not know it depended on Renault they just did as it said on the letter and they had some of each so it seems the only way to find out would be to contact Renault.

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
I couldnt afford to get mine replaced. All they done was oil it for me.

How are some getting it replaced free?

Its now a worry on my mind and Im looking for the parts to replace it myself.

Is it both the lock and catch which need to be replaced ?

I dunno what to do. Can find a genuine part for the catch, but nothing reasonably priced for the top lock/secondary catch...
Why not just lubricate/adjust what you've got.
Isn't that what Renault are doing to some of them.
If you have the ability to replace and adjust the items, I'd say you'll be able to confidently work out how the system works, test, lubricate and retest the catches.
Obviously some people won't have the ability or want to take a risk but unless the recall is down to a part actually snapping/failing and causing both bonnet catches to fail, I'd just sort it myself.

A bit of regular maintenance and the catch will probably outlast the rest of the car.:d

That's my personal opinion and not that of this Forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks all,

I'm perfectly capable, I have thought I should just do that. I take its the catch itself that gets stuck and doesn't hook onto the bonnet properly once it seizes up ? or what about the secondary catch ? I'm guessing the little hook can snap when corroded ? that's if the main catch has failed or one has forgotten to close the bonnet completely ?

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Thanks all,

I'm perfectly capable, I have thought I should just do that. I take its the catch itself that gets stuck and doesn't hook onto the bonnet properly once it seizes up ? or what about the secondary catch ? I'm guessing the little hook can snap when corroded ? that's if the main catch has failed or one has forgotten to close the bonnet completely ?
Sorry about the essay but it's not just aimed at you.
It's probably all been said in previous posts but worth repeating.

Not sure if the Clio2 phase1 is the same but the following pictures are of a phase2 style catch.

First thing to do is check your catches as they are now.
Go straight to the front of the car and try to lift the bonnet. If it stays firm- good but it still needs lubricating.
If it lifts then stops on the safety catch- not so good.
If it lifts and fully opens- it's your lucky day so read on.

Presuming it stayed firm, go and pull the release handle in the car. The bonnet might pop up a little.
Try and lift the bonnet and it should stop on the safety catch.
Pull the safety catch handle and the bonnet should open.

Picture 1 shows the slam panel with a round hole for the bonnet striker pin and a square hole for the safety catch.
Look closely at the round hole. If the main catch is working properly, the hole should be partly blocked by a sliding plate.
Picture 2 shows the sliding plate which is arrowed.
Yours might not be clean and bright but it should be there.
There doesn't seem to be much of the plate visible in picture 1. A candidate for some work then.
When you shut the bonnet, the head of the striker pin goes into the hole and pushes the plate to one side. The plate should then slide back across ( because of a spring) and lock behind the head of the striker pin.
If the plate is sticking due to rust or being jammed with dry grease and grit, it won't lock behind the head of the pin or it might just jam against the head enough to make the bonnet appear closed.
Give it a tug and the bonnet may pop back up.

That's a poor do, but luckily you have a safety catch as a last defence. Or do you??

Picture 3 shows the safety catch on the bonnet with a safety catch that does work.

If the moving parts of this are sticking or the plastic pull handle is fouling movement, the safety catch might not work properly.
Pull the handle and the metal part with the hook should pull at the same time. Now let go and the whole thing should flick back. (again due to a spring)

If your catches don't work as they should, you need to work out why.
If they are sticking, lubricate right into the catch with WD40 then wipe off any loose crud.
Work the interior bonnet handle a few times and spray again. Once the plate slides and returns under it's own spring pressure, wipe clean and liberally lubricate with an aerosol spray grease.
Do the same with the safety catch on all pivot points and around sliding handle. Some grease points are ringed in picture 3.
Grease behind the sliding handle while you're at it.
Spray grease come out of the can as a thin liquid but after a few moments it sets firmer like proper grease.

Use the spray grease around the bonnet striker pin after a good wipe. Shown in picture 4

A sticking bonnet release cable or the interior handle binding on the carpet could also stop the sliding catch from moving properly so just be aware of those.
Previously damaged bodywork could mean something is bent or moved out of alignment so be aware again.
If the plastic safety catch handle is damaged in a way that restricts movement, get a new one. Any doubts about any part of the locking systems, get it replaced.
Light corrosion of the parts isn't unusual and doesn't mean instant replacement. A good clean up and lube should keep them in decent working order.
Severe corrosion of a part means replacements are needed.

Something I always do when opening a bonnet is to lift it until the safety catch engages, then lower slightly and pull the safety catch handle. That's a good test to see if it works every time you open the bonnet.
Another is, after closing the bonnet, give it a sharp tug to make sure the main catch has locked. I've had a few pop back up that looked closed.

You can lubricate the catches as often as you want, so no excuses for it sticking again.

As for the 'who to blame' stuff, I don't know, I just fix stuff when it doesn't work properly.:d

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi just passing on some information about my daughters incident. A few days ago she was driving through doncaster over a bridge at 40mph when her bonnet opened shattering the windscreen and putting a few small dints in the roof of the car, luckily it wasnt busy and she managed to stop without crashing but was traumatised by the incident. As luck happened the police was passing a few moments later and managed to get the bonnet back down and she managed to get the car home safely as it was a short journey which the police told her to do so, she then put what had happened on facebook (as you do lol) and was told about other happenings on renault car bonnets which we looked up on internet.
at this point (due to daughters insurance being third party fire and theft) i decided to contact renault only to be told they have checked hundreds of bonnet catches and never found any faults and they sent letters out recorded delivery which on their files the post office tried to deliver but no one was in ?? (no card left to pick it up from post office )!! I asked if i could get any help towards the repair of the damaged windscreen and bonnet but was refused as it would look like they were admitting that there was a fault !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last night my poor wife was on an 'A' road on the way to pick me up from an evening function in Aylesbury. Not long into her drive the bonnet popped up and rammed against her windscreen in a sudden, violent and terrifying manner. Fortunately, she was on the verge of a lay-by and managed to pull in just in time to prevent an emergency stop. Having spent the last 2 hours doing a bit of research on the internet I find it simply staggering that this 'accident' is 6 years in the tooth and .... the argument still rages as to whether this is a design fault or negligence on the owners part! We have not been able to contact Renault as they are closed on the weekend but I can assure you they will hear from me on come Monday!

·
Registered
10 Posts
just a pointer on this, it could of already been said as i havent read all the threads n posts here but my girlfriend had a letter through from renault for a recall on the bonnet catch, think she had it in May but hasnt got around to sorting it yet as they wanted her to leave the car with them, which is not really any good to her as sbe lives in Rotherham & her nearest dealer is in Doncaster, she also is a single parent and has a young child who needs picking up from school and i live in coventry.
But on seeing some of the posts i think we'll have to arrange something!

·
7,844 Posts
Cant see why they need to have the car for more than a hour or so, with ours we have left it there wile we went to the supermarket and its been ready on return.
in the mean time check the catch and safety catch are free and not sticking in any way.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
RE- LancsDave's photos (5 posts above)... In the third photo, the largest-circled area is mostly the culprit as I described many years ago. A mild distortion to the bonnet or plastic slider can cause the device to become misaligned and then it sticks in the retracted position. This can also happen if dirt builds up on the "ways" behind the slider. This gadget is similar to what was on my 1970s (or was it 80s) Talbot Horizon and the same thing happened to my son when studying in UK. I have never seen this happen in Malta but I have read of many similar complaints in France. Much of what I have just said is a repeat of what I wrote when I was a regular on this forum dating back to 2004/5.

In case it is of any interest, I saw the same thing happen to a friend's Grand Scenic (can't remember which model/year but it had the puller between the slats of the front grille. I promptly sprayed it with WD40 and advised her to go to the dealer or her vendor because she had only had the car about three months. So there must be at least one more Renault model at risk albeit with a different device.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently got a clio iv noticed the bonnet catch fail but dealership said 150 to change and I can't afford that even tho its Renaults fault why do I have to pay for it :( I struugled to get vehicle and not got insurance yet someone advice me what go do please

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Read this thread back a couple of pages and get the catch checked and lubricated as described.
Check it's operation on a regular basis.
Or get your wallet out.
I wouldn't say it's Renaults fault if no ones ever been bothered to lubricate the catches.

1101 - 1120 of 1152 Posts