Independent Renault Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1152 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,842 Posts
Wile I agree these things do need to be maintained
I also think there is a underlying problem that make
Clio's more likely to suffer bonnet catch failure.
I've seen 2 and another that had the tell tail dents
cant remember seeing another make or model in the
last 40 years.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Just by the way, the Clio III facelift is a quite different design to that shown in Lancs Dave's pix ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnch0akWDqQ

Notice at the end he says "check that it's correctly locked."

I agree these things should be lubed occasionally, in fact I'm sure I've done this with every car I've had, regardless of make and model. And didn't need prompting...

Must say though I don't like the look of the sliding safety catch of the II design, that's begging to seize up and not retract properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Disaster

Hi,
Just had a phone call from the missus
Bonnet flew open and smashed the wind screen

any advice appreciated will be having a look though this thread

Its an O4 dymanique

is it better to get scrap bonnet and autoglass the windscreen or claim insurance

cheers BBM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Disaster

I haven't read all 225 pages of this thread but I experienced a 'near' bonnet catch incident when working on my son's 04 1.2 Expression. Having completed some under-bonnet work, I closed the bonnet and it appeared to 'catch' shut. I was about to test drive it and the bonnet popped up.

The chassis-mounted catch had not closed sufficiently to hold the bonnet down properly. Not difficult to fix, a good clean then WD40 did the trick.

I would urge everyone, the next time they are under the bonnet, clean and lubricate the catch and make sure it closes correctly. Give the bonnet a tug to check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having some trouble with my Clio bonnet, opened fine this morning but this afternoon it now won't open! The lever opens it at first but the secondary catch won't release. Any ideas?

·
7,842 Posts
You could aim some wd-40 under the front at it then push n pull to try n get things moving, but be very aware of all the other posts on here and what can happen if it comes up wile on the move.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I........just...........watched.......that..........video........
Apart from the....so.....very......painful......delivery (my advice to the star demonstrator is don't give up your day job), you would think a cloth should have been held around and underneath while liberally spraying all that penetrating oil and silicone lubricant, to both contain the excess drips and contain the fine mist. You wouldn't want it either spraying onto bodywork or to breathe it in. Also there was no advice to clean off any dirt or grease deposits first. Very poor Renault. If you're going to state the obvious at least do it properly.

·
7,842 Posts
To me the fact that they feel they have to go to such lengths about it means they have a problem.

·
7,842 Posts
Only other car I remember being bad was the old Bond 3 Wheeler but on that once you closed the bonnet you had to insert a square key and lock it, many forgot but the dealers always had hinges in stock at 17/6d.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Renault must still be worried about this problem. My daughter has a second hand Clio that is ten years old (new to us last year), but recently they sent her a letter explaining the bonnet catch problem and advised her to have the catch checked by a qualified dealer.

·
7,842 Posts

·
7,842 Posts
Cant say I fancy any of those faults to be honest,
but it never crossed my mind there was such a list.

1121 - 1140 of 1152 Posts