Independent Renault Forums banner

1141 - 1152 of 1152 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Hi, daughter has had a recall letter from RUK re this, and they replaced hers free even though the car is 10 yrs old. Al.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Its been a common fault with the mark 2 clio for several years and Renault know about it. They recommend that you keep the catch well greased and replace it after a few years. I had a T reg clio 2 and In 2009 Renault replaced the bonnet catch free of charge because of bad publicity about many of these bonnet catch failures. It was featured on the Watchdog program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: BBC Watchdog report :: Faulty Renault Clio bonnet catches

Anyone heard of any problems with the bonnet catch on Clios? My bonnet opened while I was driving along at 60 mph and caused £2,500 worth of damage even though the interior bonnet catch had not been pulled.

All information gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
I had a recall notice about the bonnet catch two years ago but Canterbury Renault dealers wanted £70 +to fix it I haven't had it done
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having reported narrowly surviving a Clio bonnet opening incident in the overtaking lane back in 2014 I havent posted here for a while.
I see that the incidents have continued and posts, including mine, have been removed from the thread........am I being paranoid?

BTW my bonnet mechanism turned out to be in perfect condition yet Renault wanted to replace it.......on the mangled bonnet!! When asked why replace something they maintained wasnt faulty???.....it all got very vague and defensive. I got rid of the car and bought something safe. I'll never sit in a Renault again.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Having reported narrowly surviving a Clio bonnet..................... I got rid of the car and bought something safe. I'll never sit in a Renault again.
So why does your "garage" say you have a Clio in it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of the ones that are definitely dodgy and the ones they are replacing it with?

We have one with a catch with a wire handle on it. Keeping it greased and it seems to be working well (Not sticking)

All the pictures I have seen show one with a black plastic handle.

(In any even I have carried out a small mod to the bonnet involving a steel cable which will stop it flying open should the catch fail. )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driving down the A1 on Sun and my catch went,sending the bonnet flying up,couldn’t see a thing,lucky to be alive watch out people you might not be so lucky.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2000 Clio Grande Mk 2 (pre-facelift) has had a sticky catch in the past, but it never flew open.

Mine was fixed, first by lubricating the catch under the bonnet with engine oil and working it left and right, until it was moving freely. Then I finished the job by fitting a return spring at the bonnet catch itself, a tension spring to make sure the cable is pulled back when I let go of the lever.

Every car can be different as it gets older. On my car, the cable and black plastic lever in the footwell move freely with no sticking or roughness, so I don't plan to change them. The new return spring is enough.

Oh, and please everyone keep an eye on the safety catch. Check it weekly, every time you lift the bonnet to check your oil and coolant.

Bonnets have two catches as "belt and braces", so unless both fail, the bonnet should stay down.

Stay safe everyone :)

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
Hi

service schedule (on all cars that I've worked on) clearly states :

Check operation & Lubricate ALL door hinges and locks (this includes the hood / bonnet, trunk / boot and fuel flap etc.) .

You need to check with who ever's been doing your servicing that they are following the correct service procedure.

FFS sake if they cannot even oil a lock would you trust them to do your brakes !

Al

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,702 Posts
Personally, I always put a drop of oil on the lock mechanism with my normal fluid checks.
While the safety catch should prevent a sudden opening, it is asking a lot with the force on a bonnet at 70 miles an hour.
Better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my car recently, from the back of a second hand dealer's back yard for trade-ins.

But yes, if my car was garage-serviced, I'd be pretty upset if they didn't do the full service, especially with a safety aspect!

1141 - 1152 of 1152 Posts