Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks I've sometimes noticed the smell of antifreeze after I've parked up. The coolant has also dropped in the expansion bottle. I can't see any leak in the rad or tell tale water stains anywhere (although its difficult to see anything on the engine!)

I've never had to top up the coolent before in 5 years of ownership. The car (02 Clio Dci) is running fine as ever. Is this a common problem, water pump leak??? Any advice greatfully recieved.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

It could very well be the water pump.:(.What I'd do to start with is remove the engine undertray(if it has one) and place a clean piece of cardboard under the front of the car.Run the engine for half an hour or so,and see if you can see any tell tale drips on the cardboard.This will at least give you some idea of where the coolant is leaking from and will help you pinpoint the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Have you checked the footwells for signs of dampness? Could also be a leaking matrix but hopefully not.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi as chris m says
Also check the seam on the top of the coolant bottle as these can split and allow water to dissapate as steam.
but also check the large seam 1/2 way down the bottle this can also split and when under pressure allows coolant to escape .... took me 3 visits to a dealer :( who reported "no fault found" then watching it for an hour myself before it was noticed as steam from this weld exiting against the bulkhead.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If there is strong smell of coolant inside the car it's likely to be the heater matrix leaking. It's possible it's leaking very slightly but the coolant is being evaporated by the heat being emitted from the matrix.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No smell is outside only. Have had a look at expansion bottle and all appears well. When I get home from work next I have a look while engine is hot and running.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If you still can't see the leak,it might pay to have the system pressure tested.Any good independant garage should have the right equipment.It'll probably cost you half an hours labour,but could save you a lot of hassle!:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Smelly Coolant

If it's a strong smell it's usually a sign the coolant is coming into something hot - have a very close look at the radiator as it could be pinhole leak coming out and evaporating - you usualy see staining - a greeeny blue colour or rust coloured mark - it could actually be between the cores hidden by the fins.:)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I've never had to top up the coolent before in 5 years of ownership. The car (02 Clio Dci) is running fine as ever. Is this a common problem, water pump leak??? Any advice greatfully recieved.
I hope your car's had a complete coolant change at some point in the last five years!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The most common cause of coolant leaks in the vacinity of the TDC sensori s a leaking thermostat housing or the hoses going to and from it. I would strongly recommend the TDC sensor is cleaned as soon as the leak is repaired:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts