Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My number plate light has stopped working. I have changed the bulb but still it doesn't work. It keeps blowing the fuse (F26 10amp).

I see in the Haynes that it runs from the same source as the left side light and the left tail light. If I put in a new fuse, remove the number plate bulb and then switch the lights on, the tail light and side light work fine. Soon as I put in the number plate bulb, the fuse blows and the side light and tail light obviously go out with it.

I am assuming a short circuit? But using my basic knowledge, i've seen the power wire (blue) coming from the rear tail light into the number plate light, inspected it and that looks in good condition. Also, the earth (black wire) from the number plate light looks ok, upto the point where I can see it, which is just behind the panel holding one of the boot lights.

Please, any ideas and help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Number Plate Light

Additional, with the negative battery terminal disconnected, and using a multimeter set to check for continuity, and one probe in the pin for this circuit on the back of the tail light, should I get continuity on both pins on the socket which plugs in to the number plate light unit?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts

Take the bulb out of the number plate lamp and measure the resistance across the lamp. It should be open circuit.

Failing that you'll have to measure for a short to earth and add/remove parts or wobble the wiring until you find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The two points on the bulb holder show continuity, which flagged as odd to me, but, looking down they look connected anyway, so assumed that was normal? However the view down is limited, so I could be wrong, and it's just an illusion they look connected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, they are not showing continuity anymore. Odd.

Anyway, I have bypassed the lamp - placing a wire in to each of the slots in the connector, and running the other ends of the wire direct to the bulb. The bulb lit up like delight, and no blown fuse.

Looks like the unit itself is at fault then. I'm ordering a replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

To report back, fitted a new unit. Just over £12 for the full thing, new bulb included, and it works a treat.

I must add - what a crap design. The old unit should be sent to Renault as an example of nobby design. Water just creeps in, and over time, a unit which corrodes and blows fuses!

On the plus side, the guy at the Renault dealership who reserved the part for me was really nice.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts

Thanks for the update.:)

I'll move your post into the articles section now as it's fixed,is your car a Clio 2 or 3?.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.