Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

just noticed a funny vibrating noise comin from this thing circled in the pic below on my engine,, what is it?

how do i fix it? is it anything that needs to be done a.s.a.p and is it faulty or need to be replaced?..

sorry about the poor quality, and the cable tie on it is coz i broke the clip oops..

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sorry Eggy,but I can't see the picture clearly enough to see what it is.....are there any pipes going to the unit?.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Tried to brighten it up for you Luverly Laggy but my Photshot skills are not like yours O Master

Attachments

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lol, sorry all
i'll just run out and get u a fresh pic give me 5 mins..

here is another pic i have on my comp, from which u mite be able to tell tho..

its the thing on left with white cable tie around it

cheers, i'll be bak with a proper pic in 5 mins..

SORRY JUST NOTICED THE THING AM TRYIN TO SHOW U IS CUT OFF THE PIC NVM, BRB

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thats better!.It looks like the Idle Air Control Valve......and it shouldn't really be making funny noises!

Is it only making the noise with the ignition on or with the engine started?.Have you had any problems with the car stalling at all?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats better!.It looks like the Idle Air Control Valve......and it shouldn't really be making funny noises!

Is it only making the noise with the ignition on or with the engine started?.Have you had any problems with the car stalling at all?
nope no problems at all, just opened bonnet today to hear that funny vibrating sound coming from that end, when i touched/moved that section it stopped..

the noise is only when engine is started /running..

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, to tell u truth i havnt had any problems with the car apart from water leak..

just heard this vibrating noise today.. car still runs normal..

this bak street garage had a diagnostics(did it for free).. lol, they were rite looneys didnt know how to use it properly.. n came up with 12 error codes, first one knock sensor.. then immobilisor one or sumthing.. then speedo sensor or sumthin..

lol, but i dnt think anything is rong with car apart from that noise..

he got me rite paranoid lol tempted to go and get a proper diagnostics dun now, to make sure..

what do u think?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm......I'd be inclined to leave it alone.It seems to be working OK and thats the main thing.

If they begin to give trouble,they usually either bring the revs up at idle or the engine cuts out at idle.All it is is an electronic solenoid that opens and closes to allow air to pass through it when the throttle is closed to allow the engine to idle at the correct speed.New ones are around the £90 mark(thats what Peugeot charge for an identical unit,anyway) and so far I've never had to change on a Renault......yet.....although having said that,our Laguna has a tendency to idle too high when it feels the need to,so I might take mine out and have a look at it!.Sometimes they'll get deposits build up around them and it effects the seal that is made between the end of it and the seat it sits in.I've just tried mine and it is silent and it doesn't vibrate,but as long as your car is idling OK,I'd leave it be for now.:)

EDIT:A proper diagnostic test would be a good idea,but it won't often show up problems with the valve unless the ECU is getting the wrong voltage back from it.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay thanks
suppose i can put up with the sound for a bit
i'll try and record sound tomoz wen am out n about lol

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
any update?
hi, sorry no,, ive just left it as it doesnt seem to effect the car, having said that, i havnt heard the noise recently.. but that cud be because of the bad weather..

when weather gets better, i'll take a look, and keep u updated..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts