Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie here!! plz bear with me

I have a 2000(W) 1.4 clio, which needed a replacement front shocker, I have replaced both sides together with springs, top mount, bearing and rubber 'donut', I also had to replace a broken anti-roll bar mount at the same time, all parts came from ' Euro car parts'

The car is now 'banging' from the front suspension area when i go over speed bumps or pot holes, it sounds like something is loose but my local mechanic has had a good look and apart from a bottom ball joint which he replaced, everything looks ok!!! :steam:

Has anyone had any issues with replacement parts from 'euro car parts' or does anyone know if maybe any suspension parts have been altered since 2000...:)

Also ( sorrryyy) does anyone have , or know where to get, an exploded picture of the front strut. .... nothing in haynes,

This is driving me nuts :devil: , I apologize for the big post but hey, if you don't ask.. you don't get!!!:p

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Renault Forums, I had a similar problem with my Lag I and in the end it turned out to be the drop links, not sure if you have these on your car but I'm sure someone will advise you soon.
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
droplinks

cheers mate but when you say 'drop links' are these what are refer to as bottom ball joints, or is it something else?

I am a bit old school i think! the ball joints have been checked and 1 was replaced, but the noise comes from either side depending on how the car hits the bumps, so I'm thinking it can only be something that i have replaced already?!?!? :devil:

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi again Steve, as I said I'm not sure wether you have droplinks on your car but I have posted a pic for you to have a look at of the ones on my car. The thin part with the pinky arrows pointing at it is the part I mean, this connects the end of the anti roll bar to the suspension strut, if you look at the bottom where the green arrow points you should see a bush. If the bush is worn it leaves a gap which is difficult to spot because the weight of the car is on it. If you have these fitted to your car take a firm grip on them and give them a good shake to see if they move excessively at the bush end or make a noise,
Regards Leroy

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drop links

many thanx for the pic, i do have these, one of them had snapped a bolt recently which as fixed plus my locl mechanic reckons these have no play in them .

I was really hoping (!) that someone wud know if any parts had been changed since 2000, this noise only seems to have appeared since the new supension components have been fitted!!!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Steve - was the full strut replaced or was an insert fitted for repairing the front shocker and also is your car suspension lowered.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
suspension noise

hi all,

when i did the front struts i replaced the whole strut, springs, bearing, rubber donut thingyamajig and the top bush,

The only part i didnt replace was the small T spacer

the struts are bilstien ones so i cant believe a good quality item could be at fault, especially on both sides!

it is all standad stuff too, no lowering kit etcc

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Steve - there is one thing you need to learn when working with cars if a fault develops after work has been done you need to check what was done all over again as the best of us can make mistakes at the best of times. Sounds like something ain't fitted correctly:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
suspension knock

Hi, lol, thanks for that advice, I hear what your saying but need to point out i do know my way around a car pretty much, been tinkering for the last 22 years!! but this one has got me stumped,

to be fair it has also stumped the local Renault dealer now, my local mechanic, a mates dad who is a retired garage owner / mechanic plus various other techy type mates.

I cam here hoping someone may have come across a similar problem but its not looking good to be honest!!

I think im gonna have to get a louder stereo!!!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I think it might be worth checking everything on the strut is together as it should be, at the top you should have the top cap on the spring, then the bearing(which can fitted two ways but only one way which is right) then the top mount with the spacer through it then the cap that holds the strut on.
Balljoints on Clio's do wear and pattern parts are even worse for it. They can be knocking badly but not have all that much play in them from my experience.
Apart from that it's hard to say without seeing the car or hearing the noise but for the odd ball attempt I recently had lots of knocking noises over bumps and it turned out had a slow rear puncture,as soon as I blew it up all the noises stopped!You never know!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Steve as I said earlier when a fault develops after work and it wasn't there before - the golden rule is to recheck the work done is OK. Keep us posted.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorted

Just thought i wud let peeps know its now all sorted thank god! :)

For future reference for anyone, The bilstein shocks i bought were at fault, not sure if its design thing or a manufacturing fault but it appears that at full travel they were 'clonking' - I checked the part numbers on the bilstein website and they were the right ones too"!!!

I guess the trouble is that with cars nowadays, you never Really know for sure if your particular car is 'factory standard' - sometimes cars are built during a face lift and end up with all sorts of bits on them!!!

My ride hide is excessive, but it was with the brand new shocks tooo, I reckon I'll just sling some lowered springs on soon , my knock has gone! thats the main thing!

cheers for the help anyway!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
knock

me again, if anyone is still viewing this thread?

Does anyone know if and why strut lengths may be different for very similar model clios? this is what it seems has been causing my problem i think.

As my ride height is now still too high, i assume the strut length is a tad too much for my paricular car, although the knock is gone,

if i do fit lowered springs does anyone know if they will actually work, assuming my strut is not quite the right size, i think it should still lower?

i seem to remember my original knackered strut came of quite easy, but these ones now were a bugger to squeez on!

anyone?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Steve - I assume you are talking about the overall physical length of the strut and not the length of travel. If the length is incorrect the steering geometry will be out and the alignment and camber may be affected. I think the difference is that the lugs on the lower hubs carrier may also be different. In other words long strut fits short hub carriers and a short strut fits a long hub carrier. If it ain't correct to begin with fitting lowered springs may only make matters worse. In the interests of safety I suggest you fit the correct struts - otherwise the handling of the car may be seriously affected and there is also likely to be accessive tyre wear.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grrrr

Its maddening this, although i think im gonna live with it now, I dont understand why I the shocks that bistein themselves say are for my car dont work! plus give me massive ride height, and the used shocks of a similar car that should also fit fine give me this excessive ride height even with my new springs on!!!

I am beginning to think that my car is a bit of an oddity?!??!

Has nyone else on here ever bought new struts, only to find they get a huge ride height???

maddening! :devil:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Steve - try measuring the distance between the lower spring cup and the bottom of the strut on the old and the new shocks and compare the lengths - see if there is any difference - they should be the same and if not you have a problem. All the springs in the world won't change that and as already said the steering and suspension geometry will be well askew.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only problem being with measuring the old ones is that they have been skipped. oops

Anyone got a 2000 1.4s clio they can measure for me?

I have a feeling that maybe some other parts of my suspension have been changed by a previous owner!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts