Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son-in-law has a Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique with ABS which has a strange brake problem.

Sometimes when you press the brakes there is a judder similar to judder when ABS activates. It sounds like it is coming from the front brakes.

It could be the ABS that is working but it happens regularly and under circumstances where ABS doesn't need to come in. i.e when braking for a juction, gently, this happens.

There is no ABS warning light coming on apart from when the car is first started which goes off as normal.

Brakes appear to be in a healthy condition with plenty wear left on the pads. Tyres are also in good condition. The car has also passed the MOT with this problem.

Anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Possibly a warped disk...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Don't think it's warped disc or it would do it consistently which it doesn't.

Sometimes wonder if there is a problem with the ABS although there is no warning light. These lights are pretty sensitive in my experience.

Stumped...............

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Mitchell M - how many miles on the current set of discs. Have you checked the discs for warping or run-out and if so how did you do it. Another prob is that the surface of the dics can sustain stress cracks or hard spots and usually only have a noticable effect when hot or at low speeds. You need to look closely at both sides of the disc under oblique lighting conditions. ABS is controlled by sensors at the wheels and not only as a result of brake pressure. Keep us up-to-date on your findings.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New brake discs are the only thing we haven't tried so for all the cost of them, might be worthwhile to try.

He's had the car for a few years now and it does high miles so could well be the problem.

I haven't checked them for warping or cracks. More of just a look while replacing the pads which, as you pont out, isn't checking them properly.

Will let you know how we get on and of course any other ideas would be welcome.

Didn't want to hear that there could be a problem with the ABS system that could cost lots of money, which was worrying us slightly.

Funny how you always think the worst and miss more obvious things...........................:crazy:

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
New brake discs are the only thing we haven't tried so for all the cost of them, might be worthwhile to try.

He's had the car for a few years now and it does high miles so could well be the problem.

I haven't checked them for warping or cracks. More of just a look while replacing the pads which, as you pont out, isn't checking them properly.

Didn't want to hear that there could be a problem with the ABS system that could cost lots of money, which was worrying us slightly.

Funny how you always think the worst and miss more obvious things...........................:crazy:
Just another thought - may be worth checking ABS sensors and cables are all OK and if any of the sensor rings have come adrift.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
If a sensor came adrift, or had stopped working, I would expect the warning light to come on...

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
I have seen the sensor ring come adrift but no light showing. Costs nothin to look and it would narrow the search for a prob:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If the problem is only happening at slow speeds,then check the ABS rings on the front CV joints for damage.It sounds as though one has split which is fooling the ABS into thinking that that wheel is locking up,hence it activates the system.

I have had this on a number of cars before.

If the rings are OK,then you have to suspect that the discs are warped or damaged.Check the CV gaiters as there have been instances of grease getting on the backs of the discs which can cause a similar problem.

I'd definately check the rings first,though.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts

Mitchell M, Ive the same car and mine kicks in even if i go over a tiny bump on the road well it sounds like its the ABS kicking in. only difference is mines a 2003.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that Adam.

We haven't had time to check this out properly yet. Weather or something else has always meant there hasn't been time.

However, this weekend is penciled in provided the weather stays nice.

Can be a problem the weather, especially if you are kerbside motors like me.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have the same problem with our 51 clio....

Doesn't happen all the time - just intermittently.

Again seems to manifest itself at lower speed braking. Has been there for a year and the car still stops.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Dave,

It is most definately a broken ABS ring. This was indeed the problem with my son-in-laws Clio.

If you jack the car up and remove the wheel, could be either side of course, you will be able to see the ABS ring on the outer CV Joint of the driveshaft. You will need to carefully check all around the toothed ring for any teeth missing or visible cracks on the ring.

In my case the o/s ABS ring was actually rotten through at one point and lifting off the CV joint.

Too difficult a repair for my "kerbside motors" so I had the local garage replace both front rings for good measure along with a new set of discs and pads. Job done.

Repair cost was around £150 including parts though I must add the local garage owner is a personal friend of mine which I'm sure helped a bit.

I must apologise for not updating this forum post but was short of time at the time in question and then it slipped my mind.

Merry Christmas everyone.:)

Mitch

1 - 20 of 44 Posts