Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - first post. I've had a trawl through the forums and found similar questions but can't find one that matches my own problem.

Basically what happens is that I am driving along and all of a sudden my clio (03 Clio Expression 1.2 16v) dramatically loses power and acceleration. When this happens the electronic fault warning light comes on on my dashboard. (The one with a jagged line and a 'squiggle' beneath it!)Because my maximum speed drops to about 30 mph I have to limp to a layby or the next set of traffic lights and turn the car off and on again. This always seems to clear the problem... until the next time it occurs.

I took it to a garage who hooked my car up to a system which is (supposedly) able to diagnose the fault. They said that it was a problem either with the throttle potentiometer or another little switch. So I spent 120 quid having this diagnosis done and these two components changed. Guess what? It still happens!

I have had the car for a year, it has 63k miles on the clock and this fault has been occurring intemittently for about 4 months. Unfortunately it has been happening more and more recently such that it happens pretty much every journey I make now.

Its bloody annoying and actually pretty dangerous as it seems to happen without warning. Any advice gratefully received!

PS My car is blue if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Vanessa - as you describe it's an intermittent fault - faulty coils or TDC sensor can give similar probs - have a hunt through the forum and you will find loads of threads relating to coil and TDC failure - see if the symptoms match your probs.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for the welcome and the useful tips. hmmm... seems problems with the coil are quite prevalent on Clios although all they are all slighty different in nature. I'll keep looking through the forums and see what I turn up.

If anyone has encountered the same problem as myself and can offer some advice or point me to the relevant post I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, 16_V_V

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i am experiencing the exact problem and had the exact part replaced but i am still experiencing the limp home mode, does anyone know what causes this as ive read many posts sayin coil packs and top dead censors but not all have been successful

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My local garage tells me this is nothing to do with the top dead centre nor the coils and is more likely a faulty component. To recap the first post, I described the problem to my garage and they ran a diagnostic test. The test identified the accelerator potentiometer (and another related switch, the name of which escapes me) as the source of the problem - both of which were replaced. Im happy to report that the problem has largely disappeared but nevertheless still occurs, all be it very occasionally. So the garage ran the diagnostic test again for me and identified the same two components. The engineer tells me that this is more than likely indicative of a faulty standard component.

Has anyone else been advised similarly such that this is indeed a manufacturing fault relating to these components rather than a problem relating to the coils / Top Dead Centre or some other problem?

Thanks
16_v_v

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I'm guessing the other component is the throttle body itself. They get quite badly covered up with oil sometimes and this can cause problems.

The pedal itself I have not heard of that many faults with but there is a known fault with the wiring Renault dealers should have a technical note on this. It could lead to the fault codes that have been brought up possibly.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If it were mine I would clean the throttle body and change the TDC sensor - both would be cheap to do. As the TDC sesnsor can have intermittent faults - it may not be faulty when renault do the diagnosis.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi 16_V_V,

I too had this same problem. some of the wires on the wiring loom had been worn causing (i think) a short circuit/earth fault making the engine go into 'limp-home mode'.

The Clio's have a common problem with the wiring loom as they seem to have made it a little too tight, putting extra strain on the wires.

Have a look at the back of your engine for a little black metal box about 3 inches square. See if its loose and check if the wires coming out of it are worn. If so have a look at my post here:
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/engines/12478-2002-clio-loose-black-box-back-engine-2.html#post215856

This is how i fixed the worn wires. I can't say for sure what was causing the problem but since doing this its not happened again (touch wood!). :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey that is nearly what happened on mine!!!! Mine cut out in outside lane of motorway VERY DANGEROUS I am just drafting a letter of complaint to renault sasme car mine red and only done 23,000 miles when fault occured THROTTLE BODY £433 POUNDS I PAID
jacqui alive read my account on forum

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I havent read the full thread, so not sure if you solved it, the clio has a problem with the wiring loom, just in the top of the inlet manifold towards the map sensor, the wires wear and what you describe happens. I have found this on several clios, and has always brought up the same fault code.

Dan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cable from throttle potentiometer leads to a connector which is located on clutch pedal. This connector often losses contact. So you have to (or find somebody to do it for you) remove that connector and connect these wires directly. It should work,and it doesn't need extra parts. I already did this many times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok i read this thread, let me tell u my story n let me know what u think

the first time i encoutned such a problem was when i stopped at traffic lights, it was downhill, so not a problem to stall really.

lights go green, i go, but within 3 second, the car died out as iff someone pulled the plug on it. so i drifted along with no power, just the accelaration i had at the time for about 5 meters n then the car came back into power again, n off i went....my first thoughwas the petrol but that was failry full but i filled up neverthe less....

this was about 3 weeks ago, and since then i encoutned no problems...

today, my petrol as on 15 minutes past on the metre pointing ---> this way, so its half full.....

i think my car died out 4 times , luckily the car come back to life within 3-10 seconds, but i have to do the ignition again, and sometimes it occurs right after, so it takes me a few attempts to finally go......

i noticed that the first light i notice is the power assisted steering light, the one that looks like a steering wheel

to be honest though, its such a panicky situation that happens so fast i dont know which lights exaclty come up n not...
but to sum it up, my car loses all power no lights nothing for anything between 3-10 seconds.....alsmot like it has stalled, but it hasnt...

i have also noticed a hell of a lot of cliking around the dashboard and the steering whell and the electronics, i have reason to belive one this problem was triggered by me indicating to the right, but this could just be a coincidence....

does this sound like the same problem ?? i would like your opoinions as i am going to take this to the renault deals and would like to know what to say

the car is a renault clio authentique 2003 and i am totally inexperienced drving for 6 months and not fluent in my car knowlege so im very worried...

thnk you

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Eso - your problem sounds very much like a break in the electrics. I had similar situation witha Megane which I eventually tracked down to a broken earth connection on the engine - it would make a few of the solenoids go bananas and start to click. I suggest you get the earth cables to the battery and engine checked out as it appears you engine is experiencing sudden bouts of power failure.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi eso

Your problem could be a wiring problem A mechanic and road side recovery personnel told me that this is a common problem with clios I would get it checked out I know how scary it is and dangerous for all Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi me again

ok regarding me problem.. i wanted to add something....i spoke in my main post about it happening then not happening for 3 weeks n then it happening again..

i recall some saying this same- ish problem occuring in the summer, but no tin the winter... this lead me to remember that on both occasions, the days were extremely hot....

i.e the inside of the car was hot, n the moment i put the power on, there were numerous clickign noises coming from everywhere.......

would this be a significant point to make ??? id so what could be the cause of the problem and a possilbe solution..

also to those who wrote about thier problems did it occur more regulalry when the day was hot???

thnk you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi eSo,

I think my problems tended to occur in the damper months (Octoberish and then again in February). Mostly these were after damp nights.
I don't know if the weather conditions/temperature has anything to do with this problem - there are other problems related to water ingress on clio's (antenna, sunroof etc) so that could be something different.

Good luck with the dealer. Don't let the pretend they've never heard of this problem before. It's amazing how often dedicted Renault dealers seem to be the last to know about common(ish) problems with their cars!;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Folks,

this happened to me, they replaced the engine wiring loom did something with pedels I couldnt make the fella out was I was cryin over so much lost money but yet mine is still knackered! In all honesty im thinking of selling it and getting a 182 because I just cannot be bothered with that, I was also going down the motorway 70mph and it died, it scares the **** out of you when you are on the outside lane and all of a sudden you lose power with buses and lorrys behind you.. total bloody joke. I also see that its just not me thats had this problem, makes me think renault should be paying for this not the drivers!

Adam.

(P.S Its still ¤¤¤¤ed and im not paying any more money! spend over £450 and its still broken, same problems.)

1 - 20 of 322 Posts