Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just joined the forums and recently bought a Renault Clio 1.1l W/'00 Reg with 110k on the clock. I have a few questions that I have been unable to find definite answers for on the forums.

1. Oil filters, are these the normal screw on ones? If so which ones on eBay can/should I buy. I cannot find one for my year and was fairly unsure which one to get. As well as the Air Filter. Would somebody kindly link me to both?

2. When my car is stationary it shudders a lot and so does the engine. Raising the revs does not seem to resolve the issue so I assume it is "running rough" Will replacing the Oil and Air filters help?

3. I was planning to fit some rear speakers but I am not sure whether the wiring will be there or not and I don't know where to look.

4. Clutch, on my car there is a very, very small gap between normal bite and "car shaking stall imminent" I thought it was just me but my step mum who has been driving for years stalled it more times than me. Is this normal?

5. Alternator belt - I just replaced it last night, when revving the engine while stationary no squeaks or squeals as soon as I try and move off (Reverse and forward) the belt slips. I pushed the alternator back as far as I could. Any tips?

6. What Oil should I buy, i.e. any recommendations for a car of this age what brand and such.

7. Engine is very tappety, maybe related tot he car running rough? I am going to upload YouTube video off my car tonight as YouTube is lacking in Clio 1.1's :)

8. Any other tips to keep it running smoothly and nicely? Basically anything that isn't required but is good for the car like anything to improve or protect it. Just any tips or suggestions to keep it in tip top condition!

Thank you and apologies if this is in the wrong section or the answers are in fact on this forum. I have looked but could not find anything. Go easy on me, it's my first car and i am only 17! Thank you guys! :d

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
You'll have to be patient I'm afraid. This forum is run entirely by volunteers who give thir time for free. And as many have job and family commitments I expect you mya get more replies during the evening or night time.

In the meantime you could try either the GSF or Europarts websites for parts, etc.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll have to be patient I'm afraid. This forum is run entirely by volunteers who give thir time for free. And as many have job and family commitments I expect you mya get more replies during the evening or night time.

In the meantime you could try either the GSF or Europarts websites for parts, etc.:)
Yeah, I know. No worries mate, cheers. It's just I have seen my Post moving down the list fairly quickly and doubt it will be seen this evening. Cheers mate

G

·
we also have an auto bump feature that put unanswered posts back up the iSpy list that many members use to view the forum

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,362 Posts
I have a 1.1 2000 Clio 107K just bought for my son. I think the fanbelt you have bought is too long, return it to the shop and ask for the next shorter belt. The engine should run perfectly so a bit more work is needed to trace the problem. Similarly with the clutch it should operate more progressively, you probably have a poor aftermarket clutch fitted, the only cure is to replacement, try and live with it if the cable isn't operating smoothly. Probably best to buy a filter from a factors. If there are no rear speakers there proabaly isn't any wiring but routing additional wires is not too difficult, would be worth removing the plastic panel over the rear wheel arches and squirting Waxoyl into wheel arch as this is where Clios rot badly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have a 1.1 2000 Clio 107K just bought for my son. I think the fanbelt you have bought is too long, return it to the shop and ask for the next shorter belt. The engine should run perfectly so a bit more work is needed to trace the problem. Similarly with the clutch it should operate more progressively, you probably have a poor aftermarket clutch fitted, the only cure is to replacement, try and live with it if the cable isn't operating smoothly. Probably best to buy a filter from a factors. If there are no rear speakers there proabaly isn't any wiring but routing additional wires is not too difficult, would be worth removing the plastic panel over the rear wheel arches and squirting Waxoyl into wheel arch as this is where Clios rot badly.
Fan belt? Its the Alternator belt? they're different aren't they? I think the alternator needs to be pushed back a little more I think... It may just be me with the clutch not sure, it's fine if I raise the revs a little. "Factors" ? Any recommendations? I have no idea where to start with routing wires. I will give the Waxoyl a go, how would I go about removing the panel? Cheers mate!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,362 Posts
Sorry I am 56 for fan belt read alternator belt they are the same. Factors are motor accessory shops like Euro Car Parts, try Yellow Pages. The additional speakers need feeding by 2 core cable from the radio, ease the radio out and have a look at the two core wires to try and determine whether you need to install additional cables to supply rear speakers. Factors have Waxoyl but it is not a priority, the internal trim panel could only be removed after the rear seat, belts etc are removed.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
No offence but it would appear you may have limited knowledge so it may be wise to get yourself a Haynes manual which could give you some guidance. You should be able to pick up a second hand Haynes manual for a tenner or less.

When servicing a car get your priorities right. First check all the safety aspects such as brakes, steering, etc. Don't rely on a current MOT certificate purely as a measure of safety or relability.
Then concentrate on getting the engine to run efficiently and well - no point in having rear speakers if the engine sounds like a bag of spanners or the car won't stop when you want it to.

When working at any car it is essential to prioritise you sequence of work.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No offence but it would appear you may have limited knowledge so it may be wise to get yourself a Haynes manual which could give you some guidance. You should be able to pick up a second hand Haynes manual for a tenner or less.

When servicing a car get your priorities right. First check all the safety aspects such as brakes, steering, etc. Don't rely on a current MOT certificate purely as a measure of safety or relability.
Then concentrate on getting the engine to run efficiently and well - no point in having rear speakers if the engine sounds like a bag of spanners or the car won't stop when you want it to.

When working at any car it is essential to prioritise you sequence of work.:)
I know mate Brakes definitely work, I don't even drive the car, it's sat round the back. I don't have my license yet. But it is definitely safe, brakes definitely work very well (I reverse it backwards and forwards and stuff and have had to brake quite hard on occasions :d) It does not sound like a bag of spanners... Okay maybe a little (joking) It drives fine steering is light even with no power steering (When moving of course) and no warning lights or anything no funny sounds or knocks or bangs or anything unusual. Yeah your right though I am a little clueless regarding cars as it is my first car lol. I am very interested and I will pick up a Haynes manual.

TO wyn burgess

Ha no worries mate, I assume Euro Car Parts have a website so I will have a look. Is 2 core cable just like the cable you see on older stereo systems? I have a new speaker with 4x50w output so that will be okay won't it? Removing seat belts! Hmm that sounds like a lot of effort. But I suppose I will have to at some point otherwise my car will be ruined.

Cheers for your help guys! :d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.