Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, well everyone that reads this post.

I am looking to get a Clio as my first car and have been looking at either the 1.2 or 1.4, insurance and tax isn't much more.

• Is it worth spending the extra money on the 1.4?
  • Will it cost more to run?
  • Are Mk II Clios reliable?
  • What else would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Td.

Have a read through the Clio FAQ section of the Forums.

Lots of Clio Owner's/Drivers on the Forums I'm sure some will offer an opinion .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
33 Posts
gr8

clio 1.2 or 1.4 are good cars they are a great drive and actually quite nippy. if your into custimzation there are alot of options on a clio a silver clio with black rims looks very cooL! get a 1.4 more powerfull, fuel consumption's great. and the 1.4 is fast for a small car. but you will not be dissapointed with a 1.2 my 1.2 campus sport is quite fast for a small car and gets to 70 in 3rd...which is nice

BUY ONE!:crazy:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there.

I can't make the decision for you, but will try to illustrate my thoughts (which may help you to make your mind up).

It rather depends on what use you see yourself putting the car to, whilst you own it. If it is town (only), then the 1.2 will be all the car you need. If you venture outside the city limits however, the additional grunt will not only make the bigger-engined car a more relaxing cruiser, it will also make for a safer car for overtaking. There shouldn't be much of a fuel consumption difference as the 1.4 will allow you to change up at lower engine speeds.

It is very important to choose the engine which matches your needs - the power (and the way it is delivered) really defines your driving experience, and its worth the effort to get right.

I would also try to get a test drive of both engine sizes - this will assist greatly in helping you choose.

I am quite a late convert to French cars in general, and Renault in particular. A car I had before (which was a great motor) was a Ford Ka Luxury - I owned it from new, and in 3.5 years (and 88,500 miles), it only needed a pair of rear shock absorbers, rear silencer, bulbs, and an HT lead. I fitted larger alloys & tyres, and the car was like a go-cart around corners.

I'm not slagging off the Clio, you understand, but as your first car, its a big step, so try as many as you can to get it right.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'm not slagging off the Clio, you understand, but as your first car, its a big step, so try as many as you can to get it right.
What do you mean its a big step? Getting a Clio for first car or just getting a first car in general?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm

Interesting.. I posted a reply but it hasn't shown up... :/ ... oh, there it is ^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts