Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After having so much trouble with my 1998 clio i think i manged to get it all sorted. I thought i'd take a few minutes and update you all on here, hopefully it may help someone.

Ok the problems i was having were intermittent starting, loss in power and engine cutting out at junctions.

I took it to a renault specilist and they ran the CLIP computer on it. Staright away the problem got flagged as the TDC sensor. got a new one fitted for £20 and it solved the starting problem.

Loss of power and cutting out was due to corroded injector lines. had these changed and the car was alive again!

I know alot of people talk about the TDC sensor on this forum but if your having similar problems trust me have a look at it first. its a cheap part so you havent got anything to loose and solves the problem alot of the time.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Clio has been doing this for a couple of months now, after short journeys where the engine has time to warm up. Some of my more mechanically minded friends say it could be the Air Flow Meter, but this appears to be another option.

This sounds like it may sort the problem. Thank you very much!

Neil

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently drove to Scotland with absolutely no problems and nearly all the way back, unfortunately at a set of lights 10 minutes away from home my renault clio just died on me and wouldn't start. A few hors later I tried to start the car and it started up with no problems. The following day I allowed it to run for 20 minutes with no problems, so I ventured around the block twice to seeif the problem re-occurred, it didn't. However, I then drove slightly further and again the car cut out and wouldn't start again. Yet it started again a little while later, but I haven't ventured out again.

Could this be the same TDC sensor problem as I've read and seems quite common among renaults o something else?

Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the same problem at the moment, it runs fine for a few days or a few weeks, then it just won't start, but after few try's it starts, i've been told it could been the (Air Flow Meter, TDK Crankshaft Sensor, or the Coolant Sensor), so i'm replacing them all, to see if that works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

After having so much trouble with my 1998 clio i think i manged to get it all sorted. I thought i'd take a few minutes and update you all on here, hopefully it may help someone.

Ok the problems i was having were intermittent starting, loss in power and engine cutting out at junctions.

I took it to a renault specilist and they ran the CLIP computer on it. Staright away the problem got flagged as the TDC sensor. got a new one fitted for £20 and it solved the starting problem.

Loss of power and cutting out was due to corroded injector lines. had these changed and the car was alive again!

I know alot of people talk about the TDC sensor on this forum but if your having similar problems trust me have a look at it first. its a cheap part so you havent got anything to loose and solves the problem alot of the time.

Hope this helps :)
hi m8 you said (Loss of power and cutting out was due to corroded injector lines.) but do you mean the fuel lines under the car or the fuel rail thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
These few paragraphs has just fixed our car, and saved us a little fortune in call outs and diagnostic checks. Thanks for posting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts