Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clio mk2 1.2 turn the key starter motor turns red battery light flashes and stop light flashes but will not start any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi i have now got it started, it was the immobiliser my spare key started it first time and everytime after that.Whats wrong with the original key? it still opens the doors etc....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had this problem back in March; took the plunge and bought a heavy duty battery which was physically almost twice the size of a normal Clio battery, and more than twice the power. Replaced the old one with the new one, started it, no problems after that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im havin the same problem with my clio, but i do not hav a spare key or a clue how to open the one i have got! its impossible.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Leanne - if it ain't got a screw - it slides apart - if you can't manage - any decent locksmith may be able to assist:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
im havin the same problem with my clio, but i do not hav a spare key or a clue how to open the one i have got! its impossible.
If no screw, look for the helpful arrows on one side. Remove any keyring, and slide side with arrows on towards key blade. It should slide right off. You can then change the battery. (or at least check it if you know any helpful person with a voltmeter).

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had a similar problem with my clio in november, the car would start fine now and again but most iof the time i would turn the key and whe whole car would shake! i got myself some wet start spray, unplugged the ECU connector to the engine sprayed all the electrics and plugs and it worked - for a bit.

last month on the way to see family, i had the ipod transmitter plugged into the lighter socket. pulled up at morrisons and the car shook again, as we were doing this i pulled the ipod transmitter out and the car burst into life -

warning here is DO NOT HAVE ANY EXTRA ELECTRICALS PLUGGED INTO THE LIGHTER SOCKET ON START UP. INC SAT NAV, BATTERY CHARGERS, CIG LIGHTER (PUSHED IN) DVD PLAYERS ETC ETC

The clio has a very nsensitive electrical set up.
plug what you need in after you have started the engine.

clio mk2 1.2 turn the key starter motor turns red battery light flashes and stop light flashes but will not start any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even that the Clio might have a sensitive electric setup, it still doesn't explain why, if the main key fail to turn off the immobiliser, the spare key starts the car right away:confused:

Brought the spare key today after reading these threads, and after a short stop when the car refused to start with the main key, the spare key came in handy:cool:

Nikolaj.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you may need to reset the main key, to do this you have to sit in the car, and press buttons but im not completey sure how to do that. there is another thread on reset master key which should tell you. there is also a great site called howtomendit.com which will give you some answers, failing that, use the 'spare key' as the main from now on?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi dont know if this will be helpful or not but not so long back my key packed up and i only had one!

What would happen is that id turn the key, the starter motor would crank but it never turned over, after lots of troubleshooting it was the key code. A while back i have put the key own on the side board, not noticed that there was a nice big puddle of water there, all i had to do was go upto the main dealer with the car and the knackered key, buy a new key (£60) and code the new to key to the car using the old key.

I dont know if that is your problem but it might be handy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The key is the problem, but since a new key here in Denmark is around 220£ (at Renault) I just use the spare key until that fails to work years ahead.:eek:

One previous suggestion was to reset the masterkey, (both keys are alike on the 2001 Clio) but as I understand it, that has to do with the remote lock system, (syncronizing car and key) and not the immobiliser?

So far thanks for all the good answers in this forum.:cool:

Nikolaj.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your immobilizer isn't working it may be that water has got into it. This means the key is irrelevant. Best solution if this has happened is to dry out the immobilizer, perhaps even using wd40 on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Apparently, the Clio Immobiliser setting causes many problems. (A.A.) We have found that when opening up the car and puting shopping in the rear -- The Immobiliser, has 'cut in ' again. Simply "Click open and Click Off then Car will Start. -- We found this the hard way?? We had put our shopping in the back, wnt to start up =No Go ?? tried 3 times, before calling the A.A. 1.5 hours later, A.A. arrived, simply clicked the key twice and all ok!!-- Stated a fault with Clio's and gets many 'call outs' for this problem. -- This arises from how the Immobiliser is 'Set' and varies fron 5 mins: to 30 mins; -- So some owners may never get this to happen to their Clio. ?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there everyone,

I think I'm getting this issue with my '52 plate 1.4 Dynamique. When I turn the key it sounds as if its trying to start but just doesn't get there. Also the battery light stays on even though I replaced the battery last November.

I tried jump starting it the other day but it wasn't having none of it. :(

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there everyone,

I think I'm getting this issue with my '52 plate 1.4 Dynamique. When I turn the key it sounds as if its trying to start but just doesn't get there. Also the battery light stays on even though I replaced the battery last November.

I tried jump starting it the other day but it wasn't having none of it. :(

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
in case anyones interested, it was the TDC...just needed a wiggle

1 - 20 of 41 Posts