Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving up to the local shop to get some electric for my family, as i went to put my car into 4th gear my engine just all of a sudden cut out. I had no option but to steer the car into the side of the road. After sitting there a few minutes in shock i tried to start the car but only a high pitched sound is coming from the engine. My brother drove up to have a look for me and found that my car had no water in the engine, and that it could be the culprit of the fishy smell ive had to put up with. (im no car genius)

He went to fill some bottles up and filled the engine for me and the car seemed to be sucking up the water really fast so it must of been empty. We tried to start the car after this but the high pitched noise is still there. i dunno what to do right now as im unsure of what the problem is. Im hoping that with the remainder of the water in there that overnight it will absorb it all up and ill go and top it up again tomorrow but i really dont know.

Could it be the fan belt? or the other numerous belts the car has. Have i ruined the car by not putting any water in it for a long time.

Any help on this would be very much apprieciated

Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After sitting here an hour trying to figure out whats wrong witht he car i am completley stuck. I spoke to soem family members and all i have got it ' the engines seized' the cars finished' and obviously it makes me angry and upset.

just to clarify the engine cut out when i was driving and now makes a high pitched noise when starting.

Could the engine of seized with no water in it? maybe it overheated? could it be that the engine and car is just finished altogether?

Any replies is needed so badly

Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
head gasket failiure...that doesnt sound too good. What is the solution on that...is it expensive or can i do it myself.

Thanks

Andrew

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
First of all check the water and oil levels. Find out where the water went as well. Do you have a leak, has it been overheating, did you have steam coming from the exhaust ?
Once thats estabilished, you can have a compression test done, this will tell you if you are loosing compression (an indication of HG failure).

If the HG has failed it will need replacing and the block will need skiming as well. None too difficult with the right tools.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Running an engine with little or no coolant in it will do untold damage to it.The first thing to do is to make sure the cambelt is still in one piece.If it is,then have a compression check done and go from there.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where do i get a compression test from. the car is literally undrivable.

annoying as you can imagine.

Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mobile mechanic = money...hmmmmm

i hope that it may just be the engine overheated but im going to try the car today after leaving it 24 hours to cool down or whatever. bringing with me a bottle of water to put in the car. I just hope that i dont need to spend out loads of money especially as i go back to college this week and its a pain.

Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After trying my car once again thismorning i found that it still does not run. The oil levels are okay and the water tank is filled to max. The car is just sat there trying to start. The engine is turning over but just wont start.

After ringing my mechanic he said to try and bump start it but because of where the car is we were unable to do it. Then we rang him and let him listen to the noise that the car makes and he rekons it could be either the head gasket or the water pump. Either way it has to go in the garage for the millionth time and we have no way to tow it there.

After the immobilisor problems and the MOT that cost 330 im starting to loose my tether with this heap.

I just hope it can be fixed asap as im not very fond of busing around southampton

Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a week of not having a car we finally heard from our mechanic

He told us that he sent for a recovery man to pick the car up and bring it to his garage however the recover bloke said that it was finished.

Apparently the water pump went, then the cam belt snapped, then the pistons exploded then the head gasket went.

To add to the many different problems ive had with this car its been suggested to scrap the car and maybe look for a new one.

Only problem is that i dont wanna get rid of the car. it will cost about 400-500 to fix apparently and sinbce this is my first car since passing my test im very reluctant to sell it.

Any thoughts suggestions or general help would be highly appriciated.

Andrew

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I had to make a similar decision when my 94 1.4 auto had problems with the auto box. The choice was driven by a lack of money. £500-600 to replace the box or spending the same on another car. I thought that if I spent that money on a different car it would be older and problematic and would cost money to get to a decent condition, so I repaired the Clio. Since then it's had almost 2 years of use and I guess I had my monies worth. However, I am having to spend money again, but this time wheel bearings so not major, but I have developed a water leak as well. Again I know where it is coming from and hope I can fix it cheaply.
I guess the advice is: don't get sentimental. Check the rest of the car thoroughly and look for anything that will cost to fix. If the car is good apart from the engine, look at what you can get for similar money (check the condition and the known faults) then make your decision.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After going to see my mechanic today and sat there ahaving a chat with him we discussed what to do with the car and just exactly what was wrong with it.

After hearign what i already knew it came down to the decision of what to do.
Im tempted to save up 400 quid and look for a lil car but then again my car was the lil car i wanted.

He rekons that it would cost more then a new engine and that once he starts moving things then other problems could arise. we went to the car and i got all my stuff from it and tried one last lil start and once again no luck.

I really dont know what to do. either way my mum will be paying a big chunk of it...as im a student :d

Its true in the sense that the car has caused alot of problems and cost us over 1000 in 7 months at the garage.
I just dont wanna wait months for the money to build and the cars to come and go. I want one now...

Andrew :yawn:

·
Registered
92 Posts
After all the troubles you've had with the car, and now having to pay even more money out, I would buy yourself another little run around and put yours on Ebay as spares or repair. There's loads of good cheap cars around if you have a good look, and I'm sure you would get a half decent price for yours on Ebay. For instance, I bought a 1990 BMW 320i Touring from trade it a couple of months ago, it was awesome. I paid £250 for it and I got it insured on a classic car policy for £148 a year. That's less than £400 in total, cheap motoring. You could take this option until you save up for something you really want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We've been given a number to ring for some random bloke to come and get the car. I dunno what to do about dva and stuff. The car si STILL sat up the road and is finished. im tryignt o find a job to save up and get a car by sacrificing my free hours away from college to get the car.
I could put t on ebay but i guess i just want it gone now. More trouble then its worth.

Im also debating on wether or nto to get another renault. They could seem more hassle then they are worth but then again you gotta take risks with anycar lol

Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts