Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine has blown, and i need to get another one, but was wondering if anyone has taken one out before?? If not, does anyone know of a mobile mechnic who could do this in the Kent area?? I am trying to buy an engine at the moment, and thinking of buying a 1.8. I currently have a 1.4 RT 1991.
Any assistance would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi iam not sure about the 1.8 going into you 1.4 there are many other things that will need to be changed one will be the ecu and the cars brakes will indeed not be suited to a 1.8 as yours is only a 1.4.But changing the engine from 1.4 to another should be no problem to a mechanic i hope this help a little all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
thanks for the advise, will stick with the 1.4, just got to get the engine now!!
Hi there are lots of things to take in but the only one thats on my mind is safety keeping the the car as a 1.4 is a good choice i would think you will indeed find one with no problems all the best Donald

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I've removed an engine before (but it was from a 27-year old car) - the engine was longitudinally mounted, driving the rear wheels.

Its not an easy job - in my case, most of the engine was scrap (a con-rod had snapped and been driven through the engine block), the moving parts had been deprived of fluids (whilst I coasted to the hard shoulder) - hence, I just wanted it removed, so a new one could go in.

You need an area under cover to work - if the weather is poor or the job extends into the night, its not a roadside task.

An engine crane is a must - an engine will weigh anything from 250lbs upwards (mine was closer to 500lbs - all iron).

I would advise dismantling and removing the entire cooling system (radiator, hoses), disconnect the battery (of course) - you need to clear as much space as possible - remove the bonnet as well (a 2-person job).

Take photos at every stage of the extraction - you'll need to re-fit it all (especially the wiring and linkages), and lay out what you are removing in a logical manner.

I would normally advise looking at the new engine as a guide for the fitments on the old one - I don't know what differences there may be between the two (hopefully none).

Change the oil & filter & plugs on the new engine (whilst you have full access)- and give it a hand crank before fitting to ensure lubrication of the pistons, etc.

If this sounds daunting - I've done my job well (it is a major undertaking).

I wish you well with this - post the pictures once its done.

Paul:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine change

Having changed my 1.6 laguna engine, I would advce not to do it, the cost of the odds and ends mount up quickly and soon out strip the value of the car. Look on ebay or Loot for a replacement car. Remember things like the cam belt, clutch, cables and some times the old water pump should be replaced at the same time? The list soon becomes endless and expensive.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, i have just been looking on Ebay, plenty for sale for around £150 mark , so i could get lucky. I have taken plenty of engines out before, but not too sure on how these come out, whether by removing it from below or hoisting out from the top??

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I would presume that the engine is removed/installed from above (this is the case for the majority of cars).

Regarding sourcing an engine - I'd be inclined to do a web search of parts/salvage yards - normally you just fill out one form, and they contact you - you may find the prices not dissimilar, and if you're not getting the chance to hear the engine running - you at least have some comeback.

It would be tragic to go through all that hassle and expense to end up with a dud.

Paul:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts