Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's Clio MK1 makes an awful groaning noise as he drives along. This disappears momentarily whenever he turns right and even if he just moves the steering slightly to the right.

As soon as I straighten up the groaning starts again.

I thought it was the bearings on the right hand front so I replaced them at some cost (mainly to my health as they are a real ***** to replace). To my dismay the sound is still there.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated................

I'm now desperate as my son is after the car and I'm not even sure i's safe to drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris

when you say check the springs what do you mean exactly and do you think this would really make the car groan like it does and then stop when I turn the wheel even slightly to the right.

The only thing I'm really sure about is that it is something at the front end.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8 it could be a few things, first of all check the front wheels for fouling on flexi hoses, and arch liners,disk shields ect,
if this is ok well the car is jacked up and supported on axle strands get someone to sit in the car while you hold one of the front wheels and get them to select 3rd/4th gear and tell them to let the clutch up slowy to engage drive this will allow the opisite wheel to which you are holding spin freely and tell you if the the noise is comming from there, if it is then just home in on it, same applies to the other side.
(if you can get 2 helpers this makes this much easyier lol:d )

one other thing to check is the inner joints on the drive shafts for end float(exsesive play) leading from the gearbox if there is this would indacate that the diif bearings are going or gone.
also if the car has power steering it could also be a aux pulley, alt or p/s pump ect thats causing the noise.

hope this has helped you mate and good luck alex:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Skewit - sometimes it can be very difficult to detect which wheel bearing is groaning - I would suspect the left-hand front. When steering to the right the load is being transferrred to the left bearing which can take up any play or wear in the bearing. In my experience left wheel bearings are more prone to failing as the left-hand side of the road tends to have more potholes and surface water. I would stiil have a good look round to see if anything is fouling the wheel, brakes or transmission, etc.:)

P/S. Has the vehicle been modified in any way (alloy wheels, lowered suspension, etc)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is all really good advice so thanks and keep it coming.

I have checked for fouling and nothing is touching the wheels at all.

Interestingly though I did begin to wonder if the sound could be the exhaust, so I took it along to my local trye and exhaust centre and whilst we were looking under the car I noticed that the exhaust was making contact with what looks like a triangular buffer of some sort.

This is a metal part that could be a mounting or damper form the gearbox? I have yet to identify the part properly but it is definately rubbing against the exhaust (which seems correctly positioned) just behind the engine/gearbox. The metal part of the damper has worn away shiny where it touches the exhaust, so there is definately some contact there. It looks as though the centre of this part is loose or worn and is therefore allowing it to foul with the exhaust.

I think I should investigate this as a possibility first.

Any ideas what this part might be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it's pretty much dead centre and the end that's fouling the exhaust has a round hole in it with some sort of rubber buffer. It's this rubber that seems to have lost some of it's strength and is letting the mount move around a bit.

The mount itself (if that's what it is) just seems to held in place by two bolts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have an idea how hard it is to fit a new rear Gearbox mounting.

It looks like just two bolts but my Hatnes Manual says

"loosen (but do not remove) bolt A then unscrew and remove bolt B from the rear mounting link".

This is part of the full instructions for removing the gearbox but it doesn't go on to say that I can remove bolt A at any stage.

I'm asuming that undoing both bolts together might result in the gearbox dropping slightly and causing some damage.

If I use a jack to support the gearbox can I remove both bolts and replace the mounting?

Any advice would be most welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check cv joint rubber bellows on your drive shafts for splits, if there are signs of grease on the inner sides of your wheels. If so it could be a dry joint. Just another thing to check.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Mk1 Clio with the same problem, wheel bearings seem fine, CV boots are fine, I even regreased it but the noise remains. No play in the drive shaft either. Quite a nasty vibration now too.

Was it the gearbox mount in the end?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts