Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Clio II 1.4 16V (01) - Advice - Clutch / Gearstick

28K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  el dude 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Just bought my wife a Clio and have noticed a couple of issues that may or may not be normal.

Firstly the clutch seems quite fierce, it doesnt slip or anything and the gearchange is fine but making a smooth change is tricky. There doesn't seem much travel of the clutch pedal through the 'biting point' if you get what I mean.

also, have noticed that the gearstick visibly moves when you are accelerating and braking.

Are these normal quirks of the Clio?

Is there any way the clutch can be adjusted to make it a bit smoother?

many thanks in advance :)

#9 ·
Mine does this too, only bought it a couple of days ago.

I was told by garage today that its most likely a worn mount, but he said that on 44K miles, changing it probably wouldnt make all that much difference!

STILL, im going to use mine for driving instructing so i want to get it as close to good as possible!

Is it the "stabliser" mounting on the back of the gearbox thats most likely to have worn to cause this? the one furthest back on the car? Does anyone have a part number??

Thanks
Andrew

PS: I find my clutch very springy, suppose its just a Clio thing!

#10 ·
Im not alone then ! my mrs clio does the same,clio 2002 dci extreme......i checked the lower mounting back of the gearbox (dogbone mount) looks ok,in good condition,top mounting looks good aswell.........is there another mounting anywhere or is it just the 2 ?

#12 ·
the clutch seems quite fierce, it doesnt slip or anything and the gearchange is fine but making a smooth change is tricky. There doesn't seem much travel of the clutch pedal through the 'biting point' if you get what I mean.

also, have noticed that the gearstick visibly moves when you are accelerating and braking.
I'm glad I saw this, I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my 1.4 Clio. To be honest I hate the way I can't get a smooth gear change, and for a 1.4 I find the acceleration is poor. In contrast my old 1.2 Clio was a dream to drive. Like yours Matt_C, my Clio is also lumpy when cold.

I'm thinking about getting a new car because of this, which is a shame because I love everything else about it. I just can't stand driving it anymore. I'm told that the 1.4 is actually fitted with the same gearbox as the 1.6, hence the problem. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks.

#17 ·
thats answered 2 of my questions then! wobbly gear lever, most noticable in 1st and 2nd, and clutch that feels a little more On and Off than normal,
but seems perfectly normal! ;)
did cause a comedy moment when the wife was reversing up the drive, slight judder ready for a stall and 500rpm to 6k!very funny!

#19 ·
Hi guys

I had a similar problem and found that after putting in a new clutch that it made no difference, but noticed that the gear stick rod were it en-ted the gearbox was worn, i have wrapped some black insulation tape around the rod and this has solved the problem on a temporary basis, because of the cost of a full repair would be beyond my means at the moment. i hope this helps or maybe gets you too have a look at your rod for similar ware.brendan 11.

#20 ·
Hi there folks..

newbie here but my Wifes car has the same issue...

yes it's the gearbox roll resistor mount issue... My wifes car has had this since she bought it, but after driving it recently i can't believe how poor quality this part is, it's just shocking!.. so now the extra play has also caused the top engine mount to almost fail also... you can move the engine backwards and forwards quite easily...

After going on the Powerflex website it seems they list bushes for the 172s etc... can anyone confirm if the gearbox mount bush they do is compatible with a 53plate Mk2 Clio (1.2)..??

Thinking about doing the lower arm bushes too while i'm at it...

Regards

Chris

#21 ·
Have you read thhe information on the Powerflex site - it states PFF60-211K will fit Petrol 172 & 182 Sport Models Only I take that means it won't fit anything else. In the past I have been ablke to source some mounts from GSF or Europoarts and have found them to be fairly good.

I would suspect your top-mount possibly failed before the rear (dog-bone) unit. The top-mount can only be properly inspected by removal. Most have an hydraulic fluid which leaks over time yet the mount appears to be OK. As the fluid acts as a damper any loss will cause more vibration and torque on the other engine mounts.

Also check the clutch isn't juddering - a known cause to wreck the engine mount in particular.:)

#22 ·
thanks, thats pretty helpful actually....

any idea on price of the top mount... if other bits iv'e bought are anything to go by it's not going to be cheap i bet!...

with regards to the powerflex, yes iv'e read the Powerflex state 172/182... but was wondering if anyone had sucessfully used them elsewhere on other models... as often a bush size can be a fairly standard thing accross models....

Some of the bushes/top mounts on my Racing Puma are just standard Fiesta/Puma parts and some are not...

Thanks Again

Chris

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.