Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a rubber seal for my clio Mk 2 sunroof, I have contacted several parts dealers who say I have to go direct to Renault. So I contacted Renault who want to charge me £95.00 for a new seal! This is daylight robbery for a piece of rubber. Is there anywhere else that I could get one?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Whats wrong with the existing seal - if broken or cracked try repairing it with a good quality silicon sealant or as someone on here recently suggested aquarium sealer - this seems to work - good sealant is around £4 to £8. I reckon Renault were probably going to supply a new ariel as the seal is not sold separately.:)

If you do a search of the forum you will find a number of threads relating to this very subject.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some strange reason my leaking sunroof isnt leaking anymore despite all the rain we are having!! All I can think I did was push down quite hard on the glass so it created better suction to the rubber, and hey presto its done the job (it may be a fluke and now ive said it its going to leak!)
Fingers crossed:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this exact problem.

My car was like a swimming pool, so went to my friendly renault dealership to enquire about the price of a seal....friendly dealership was not so friendly and wanted the shirt off my back as well as 90 odd quid.

Got some sealant from work, and applied a liberal amount to where i thought the leak was......no joy.

Reseated sunroof and seals, (and pressed down hard on top when closing it) This magically fixed it, don't dare open sunroof now but at least it dont leak!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I seem to have fixed my sunroof leak by removing the sunroof frame, cleaning the old seal off then using silicone sealant on the underneath of the frame and bolting it back in. The frame seems closer to the roof now but so far no leaks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixing your roof leak

Hello Snake78 was it an easy job? Can you explain how you did it, as I am still having problems with mine. I dare not open the sunroof now. Oh and it rattles like hell now!!! Arrrrggghhhh :mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi happy camper. It was fairly easy. I took out the glass and the headlining finishing trim. Once they are removed you can see the bolts just inside the headlining, using a 10mm open ended spanner you can remove them all. It's a bit fiddley and it takes a while but they should come out. Once they are removed the frame can be lifted from the roof but the drain pipes have to be removed. It is easier if you have two people to remove the pipes so that one can hold the frame whislt the other removes the pipe and if you're careful with them they shouldn't drop down out of reach. Once the frame is out you should see a foam seal (which was perrished on the corners on mine) running around the underneath. Remove the foam and any residue from the frame and the roof so they you can get a good seal when you re-fit it. Using some exterior grade silicon sealant run a good bead around the frame where the foam seal was. The fun part is getting the drain pipes back on without getting sealant all over yourself and the car. The pipes do go back on but it is a bit awkward, once they are on line the frame up and push it down to seal it against the roof. I tightened the bolts up pretty tight and I have found that the frame is closer to the roof than it was before which I think will help the seal. It is just a case of putting the finishing strip and glass back in and that's it. It is best to do it when it is supposed to be dry for a couple of days because the silicone takes 24 hours to cure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Snake78
Thanks for your detailed instructions. Will have to enroll the help of my brother I think for this. Need some dry weather now!
Happy camper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As an update, it tipped down a couple of days ago and the car is still bone dry inside so I think I can say that this works.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi. Had the same problem with my sunroof. Took it out as in the previous posts and used some black sealant to seal it with. Job completed about 1 month ago and not wet yet!

Cheers for advice.

Mr A

·
Registered
14 Posts
iv had a good chat with my local dealer about the leaking runroof, and apparently the foam seal isnt actually a seal, it simply acts as a cushion to stop the nasty rattle. apparently the leaks are caused due to sunroof frame deformation, so the answer is SILICONE!!!
or new sunroof frame. (£280, £300 including the foam cushion seal!)
but if you contact Clio spares you can get your hands on a used sunroof frame for a good price, this what im doing, i have the whole used sunroof sitting in my garage, and a tube of clear silicone sitting in the clio, just waiting to take onthe repairs. ill let you know how i get on when iv done it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The silicone worked for a while but it started leaking again. The problem with the silicone seems to be that after time the flex in the bodywork causes it to peel away slightly which causes the leak again.
I now have my new attempt which is foam rubber P shaped seal from B&Q. If you split the strip down the middle it will form around corners and I now have two strips between the bodywork and the sunroof frame. It's been on about two months and it is not leaking so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts