Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys this is my first posting so be gentle, here goes. I just bought a pig in a poke off Ebay. My mistake but I don't let things like this get me down. The Clio is a 1.2 RN Grande 1999. The airbag and service light is on. I thought it would be an easy fix using the under the seat connection method. It turns out it's been in a smack and the airbag was deployed. You can tell this by the burn marks on the wiring harness inside the wheel. It's been put back together by a cowboy and I want to get it right. The airbag fitted is a new one and the connection from that through the steering column the the wiring harness all metres out fine as do the connection to the one seat belt pretentioner under the drivers seat. From what I can see the passangers seat does nor carry a pretensioner at all. Firstly can anyone tell where the module is for the bag and pretensioner and secondly is there any way of checking visually if the seat belt pretensioner is OK. It's OK to bang another airbag in the vehicle but I'm sure I read the the module needs to be reset or replaced after an airbag deployment and I'm convinced this is where the fault lays. Any advise would be very welcome. Regards Terrylee

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum Terry. I would say the module would need resetting. It's probably done through the OBD socket.
A word of warning though. Airbags are dangerous and should be fitted / tested by a authorised person. If they accidentaly deploy and cause an accident the insurance may be void etc.
We have a few mechanics on board who have more knowledge of airbags and I am sure you'll get more advice.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The airbag computer is under the centre console..

It is NOT resetable as it is a fire once only device..

Only a second hand one that has not been fired can be fitted or a new one @ £300 from your Stealer... I guess the "cowboy" didn't want to pay for a new one..

BUT make sure the part numbers are the same between the old one and new..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Airbag Reset At Airbags.com

I OWN INSURANCE APPROVED BODYSHOP SO LISTEN UP THIS INFO USUALLY COSTS
FIRST DISCONNECT BATTERY POSITIVE SIDE
THEN TAKE OUT THE SIDE PANELS WHERE THE SEAT BELT REEL IS SITUATED THIS IS WHERE THE PRETENSIONERS ARE LOOK AT THE LONG TUBE AT THE SIDE OF THE BELT IF THIS IS CRUSHED THEN U NEED TO REPLACE IT SEND OFF YOUR ECU SITU UNDER CENTRE CONSOLE TO AIRBAGS.COM THEY WILL REPAIR THE ECU ....THE ONLY GUYS I KNOW CAN DO THIS OTHERWISE BUY NEW ....REFIT ECU THEN RECONNECT BATTERY ALL IS NOW WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:moonie:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I OWN INSURANCE APPROVED BODYSHOP SO LISTEN UP THIS INFO USUALLY COSTS
FIRST DISCONNECT BATTERY POSITIVE SIDE
THEN TAKE OUT THE SIDE PANELS WHERE THE SEAT BELT REEL IS SITUATED THIS IS WHERE THE PRETENSIONERS ARE LOOK AT THE LONG TUBE AT THE SIDE OF THE BELT IF THIS IS CRUSHED THEN U NEED TO REPLACE IT SEND OFF YOUR ECU SITU UNDER CENTRE CONSOLE TO AIRBAGS.COM THEY WILL REPAIR THE ECU ....THE ONLY GUYS I KNOW CAN DO THIS OTHERWISE BUY NEW ....REFIT ECU THEN RECONNECT BATTERY ALL IS NOW WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:moonie:
Although shouldn't you really disconnect the negative first?

A few places can reset them for around £80 and with this method they just reload the original software it's plug and play. If you replace it new airbag computers come locked and blank so it will need coded to the vehicle, unlocked and configured it's and hours labour for this.

On the mk2 ph2 I know for a fact they are cannot be reset without being sent away to a speciallist but I met a mechanic who was diagnostic software who was adamant he had reset the airbag computer on your model mk2 ph1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Airbags.com

Obviously If U Buy New It Will Need Recoding Send It To Airbags .com They Do More Than Just Load New Software And It Will Come Back ...fully Coded For U To Plug Straight In N Go And No ,,,,....you Must Always Disconnect The Pos Side

·
Registered
1 Posts
Airbag reset

Similar problem

im having my airbag and sensor replaced (side, passenger 2002 dci 65 expression clio) and need the module resetting.
it seems a bit steep to pay renault £80 for them to press reset, when a professional has done all the proper replacement.
does anyone know anywhere cheaper?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
£80 is around the price. I had my 03 Clio reset in Germany for around £60 but the recorded carriage was another £9. The £60 included return carriage. This is first hand knowledge. My main Renault dealer catagorically said the unit could not be reset and I would have to buy a new one at £280 plus it would take an hours labour to code it to my car. The guy in Germany who does hundreds of them said that each unit carries info relating to model so if he resets your old unit then you are guaranteed it will work for your car. I can only say his service was superb and he turned the unit round in two days. (the postal service took nearly a week) I am not affiliated in any way and use whoever you please but Germany is a lot nearer than the States and there is a better chance for a quick turn around. Make sure you send recorded. Contact Mathias at email address [email protected] Hope this helps. By the way disconnecting negative or positive makes no difference just make sure you disconect the battery and isolate the terminal. Happy New Year Everyone. Terrylee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts