Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new on here so please be gentle! I've just bought a Clio 1.4 Alize 2001 plate and despite getting several people to check as well, no one can find the dipstick! Does anyone know where it would be located on this model?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
On my wifes car if i remember correctly there is a big yellow screw (3inches wide:) ) its in the middle of the engine bay, a few turns on this and the dipstick is attached to the bottom of the screw.

·
Registered
72 Posts
IIRC it doesn't have one, which could be why you can't find it! The instrument panel should light up with "oil OK" when you switch on, and stay illuminated for about 30 secs before reverting to trip milo readout.

At least that's what my wife's W-reg 1.4 Alize does.

My problem was finding the washer bottle, hidden right at the back when the bonnet's up, outside the engine bay, really, and with a black cap on it too.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I'd be surprised if your Alize doesn't have a dipstick mysterious.

You should be able to see a yellow tube when looking at the front of the engine, left of centre (maybe it's not yellow on your 01 model).

The confusing bit is that it's clipped in at the top of the engine to stop it shaking loose or vibrating. Hadn't seen this on any of my previous cars, so it caught me out as well the first time I went to look at a Clio.

You need to pull it towards you to release it from the clip.

Let us know if you find it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You should be able to see a yellow tube when looking at the front of the engine, left of centre (maybe it's not yellow on your 01 model).
Thanks Paul, it's SWMBO's car, and she's away for a couple of days, so I can't check at the moment.

I must admit I've not been very happy about not being able to check the oil manually, but having said that, I can't imagine, even though I'm a bloke, I wouldn't have checked with the handbook when I first realised I couldn't find the dipstick. All the other fluids etc are checked regularly.

I will report back!

Malcolm

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks Paul, it's SWMBO's car, and she's away for a couple of days, so I can't check at the moment.

I will report back!

Malcolm
Right. Handbook says two ways of checking, dash readout or dipstick. On the 1.4 16v version, the dipstick is shown as being under a plate/box to the front of the engine, ie front of the car. The pic shows it to be hidden, and by golly if it's there at all, it's well hidden, as I can't see it, whether it's yellow, blue or purple. I think when we get the promised dealer recall for the bonnet catch, which is in the system, I understand, I'll get them to point it out to me.

In 40+ years of motoring, mainly doing my own maintenance (and I've built my own KitCar!!) I have never been stumped like this. And it's twice, because despite help and photos on here and in the Haynes manual, I still can't find the speedo sensor.

Frustrating or what

Malcolm

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The dipstick is hidden under the aluminium box at the front of the engine.It's a ***** to get to and from memory it's painted brown so it's even more difficult to see.:crazy:

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dipstick is hidden under the aluminium box at the front of the engine.It's a ***** to get to and from memory it's painted brown so it's even more difficult to see.:crazy:
In other words a dipstick designed by a dipstick............

Thanks for the help, BTW

Malcolm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts