Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

This is my first post so please be kind! (and apologies if there are other threads exactly the same as this)

About 1 month ago my car started running really rough and the Toxic Fumes emissions light started flashing. This light isnt flashing all the time, it comes and goes as it pleases but my car IS running rough all the time.

I took my car to renault who put it on there diagnostics machine and told me that it was valve timings. As I was planning to trade my car in before this happened I took it to a local garage for a second opinion. I knew the mechanic at the garage and told him what renault had told me, he then tested the valve timings and he said they were spot on!

After reading no end of threads on forums i went back to the garage with a list of possibilities all of which so far have failed! Coils have been replaced, Fuel Injector is fine, New Spark Plugs even the tamper proof box at the back of the engine is ok (well, hasnt wore all the way through the insulation around the wires just yet)

The mechanic is sure its a problem on the number 2 cylinder because if he pulls the lead out of it there is not alot of change to the engine, but as soon as he pulls it off cylinder 1 the engine stops.

PLEASE HELP!! Its failing its MOT because of the emissions & its worrying me a bit because I havent found anyone who has come up with a cure for this yet!

Any help on this would be really appreciated

baz!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Emmision failure

Yeh looks like it ain't firing on one cylinder. I suggest you get a compresion test done and see if all cylinders are pumping equal pressure. Any decent garage can do this.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks noel i'll try that.

Is there anyone on here who has experienced the same problems as me and actually found a cure??

baz!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris

Thanks for replying...but im not sure what sort of coils my clio uses (sorry I know that is no help), what I do know is that when the garage stuck it on there machine and read the codes it came back with a problem with the coils so they were replaced but the problem still persists!

baz!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ill mention that to the garage and try and get those serial numbers. Thanks for the help guys and keep the suggestions coming!

baz!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
**UPDATE**

Ok, have just come back from the garage to see how things were going and things maybe improving.

The problem seems to be the valves or should I say "the valve seat has burnt out" or words to that effect. It doesnt mean much to me but he seems certain this is the problem so fingers crossed.:)

Just a bit of a wait now for the parts to arrive. Ill let you know if this works, hope this helps someone else if they expeience the same problems.

baz!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh Baz - a burnt valave seat would prevent sufficient compression and prevent that cylinder from firing - burnt valves or seats is quite rare on modern cars and it would be interesting to find out what caused it.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it would be nice to know, its a 2002 model and has done 65,000 miles, I dont think thats too bad, certainly wouldnt expect problems like ive had from a car that old.

Oh well, hopefully this will work (& ill try and find out what caused it). Ill keep you posted, thanks for your help!

baz!

·
Registered
9 Posts
it does sound like valve clearances, get your mechanic to check again and bear in mind renault engines run the opposite way to most
cylinder 1 is at the gearbox end!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, thanks for your reply, but my car is now fixed and the problem was a BURNT VALVE SEAT. It immediately passed its MOT and then I immediately got rid of it. Will never buy another Renault again!

Thanks to everyone who helped me, you saved me alot of money. Hope no-one else experiences the same problem I did.

baz!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Baz - as a matter of interest had your car had any modifications or so-called performance bolt on bits added or better still did you use any fuel additives or ropey fuel from one of the problem fuel suppliers. I'm just really curious to know what caused the problem. Every little bit of information is of great help to all those who use this forum.
Any feedback would be appreciated.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Noel - No, my car didnt have any extra bits and hadnt been modified in any way at all.

The problems though did start around the same time as the contaminated fuel outbreak! This was my first thought at the time. I checked on the Tesco website and found out that my local Petrol Station was one of those that had been infected, so I told Renault this and they said I should bring it in for the diagnostics test and that would tell us. So I did that and they told me it was definately not down to dodgy fuel, but valve timings, although I still think it did have some bad fuel in it and contributed to the problem.

Anyway the Burnt Valve Seat was eventually found and then fixed.

Hope that helps.

baz!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Can anybody shed any light on my problem with the emissions warning light on the Clio 1.2 Monaco 2007 I recently bought for my wife. All was perfect until yesterday and when I overtook another vehicle the emissions warning light suddenly started flashing. Since then it has been flashing and will go to a steady on position at exactly 2500 revs, with the message "check emissions" appearing in the central display. If I drop below 2500 revs it starts flashing again and the "check emissions" message goes away, but when it climbs to exactly 2500 revs the warning light goes fully on and the engine starts missing, which seems like on one cylinder only. Hope someone can help - thanks Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts