Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 1.2 16v Extreme model and I am trying to change the oil and oil filter. The oil filter is a paper cartridge type, but I am having trouble removing the plastic filter housing. Does it just screw off? I have tried unscrewing it by hand with no success and a puller has trouble gripping the housing because of it's ribbed surface.

I have noticed that there are two recessed star drive (torx) bolts above the plastic housing. Do these have to be loosened off before the filter housing can be removed?

Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Pug - the plastic cover can be very tight to get off - and usung a clamp type device can cause damage to the housing - it is best to get a proper tool for the job - most decent motor factors should be able to help. I haver never done the renault type but on Mercedes and the like it is a metal cup which goes over the end and has a square hole for a socket bar.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your advice MadNoel. I will try my local motor factors for the type of removal tool you suggest. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
heya dude,

I got the proper tool from a place called the Motorstore (The tools called oil filter grips). Ive seen them else were they are about £5 even in halfords! and just look like a set of grips/plyres mine was on tight so it took a few attempts but it eventually came off, dont forget to put oil on the new seal before putting the new filter back on or it might mess up also only hand tighten it as it has its own seal!

Adam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Adam. I managed to het hold of a tool from my local motor factors. It is cupped shaped and fits on the bottom of the filter. There is a nut that you can fit a socket or open ended spanner to. Sounds a bit different to the tool that you describe. Still took quite a bit of effort to budge the filter housing.

I asked the bloke in the motor factors why they fit this type of housing. All the cars I have previously owned have been fitted with the disposable metal can type filter. He said that they do it because it is easier for the main dealer to dispose of the paper elements than the metal cans.

Thanks again for replying to the thread.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys i noticed this thread thought id ask my question on here save me starting a new one

i have a clio MK2 RN and i need to take the oil filter off but i cant find it it isnt in the haynes manual which is odd and its preety vague on the description could anyone please tell me where the oil filter is for my car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have just noticed this thread on top so thought it would be easier to post here than start a new one.

I have a Clio Expression 1.2 16V Petrol and need to do an oil and filter change.

I have entered my reg into a few different websites and it brings up two different types of filers: one is a paper insert filter :confused: and the other is a screw on filter which I have purchased as I believe to be the correct one.

Does anyone know which filter wrench (removal tool) I need to remove the filter? There are a few different wrenchs and sizes I have no idea which one will fit or is best for the job.

Will any of these fit?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=13177

http://www.pricecheck247.co.uk/compare/automotive.1956/silverline-oil-filter-chain-wrench-150mm.19777.htm

http://www.pricecheck247.co.uk/compare/automotive.1956/silverline-oil-filter-wrench-57-65mm.19778.htm

http://www.pricecheck247.co.uk/compare/automotive.1956/silverline-oil-filter-wrench-63-88mm.19779.htm

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got caught out by the filter type, the motor factors I went to put in the reg for my clio and supplied the metal can type but when I went to change it, it was the paper insert type. Seems Renualt used two different type of filter randomly on the D4F engine.

All them types of filter tool will work on both type of filter, just make sure you buy the one that is the correct diameter for the filter you are removing. Or try some grips that expand to different sizes.

·
Inveterate Bodger
786 Posts
I asked the bloke in the motor factors why they fit this type of housing. All the cars I have previously owned have been fitted with the disposable metal can type filter. He said that they do it because it is easier for the main dealer to dispose of the paper elements than the metal cans.
Slightly more environmentally friendly, too. It's one of those strange cases where the "old way" of doing something is actually more ecological than the "new"... the new variety being the fully disposable filter unit. I've got an old general "how to fix your car" book from the late 70s/early 80s and it appears such a thing was unknown at the time... the only kind of oil filter it mentions is the replaceable paper cartridge type! (Along with the method for removing the housing, changing the cart, charging it with fresh oil and putting everything back together...)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think it's just a 'manufacturer-preference' similar to cam-chains/cambelts.

My Toyota has the metal oil filter, and that was new... in 1971.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi.I've just noticed this thread and I'm new to the forum.I've got clio 1.2 16v 2002.the oil filter was leaking.I've serviced and replaced the 2 o ring seals on the paper cartridge filter.lubed the seals and screwed it on hand tight.it's still leaking from the seal how can I stop this.there are now cracks or damage to the canister.
Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's sorted now thanks.i ordered a new canister and filter genuine renault from eBay. Problem solved.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts