Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wifes cars a 1.2 extreme Clio on a 53 plate. Drove it at the weekend and noticed that the heater blower fan isn't working. The heater is generating heat OK, but no puff. Any clues?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All the blower fan packed up on my MK1 Clio this week without warning. Total failure all speeds.
Steps to my solution.
1: Fuse checked out OK.

2: Power in & out of fan speed switch on dashboard. You have to remove the stereo holder to gain access to 2 torx screws which hold the switch in place.

3: Removed all the external trim below the windscreen (5 torx head fasteners). Then the wiper motor & linkage (comes out as 1 only 3 bolts) to gain access to the blower motor.

4: Unplugged the connector to the motor housing & checked for a voltage at the plug (all speeds Haynes manual useful to ID the pin no's).

5: Plugged the connector back in & finally removed the main motor leads from the motor (red & black) & checked them. No volts measured on meter on all speeds.

6: Removed the blower motor (2 bolts) & then set about checking the speed controlling resistors built into the fan housing. That is the socket on the side the wires go in & out of. It is held in place by 2 torx screws & clips. Once prised out you can see two resistance coils either side of a thermal fuse.

7: Upon checking the continuity of the coils I found them to be OK but the thermal fuse had blown. The hard bit was removing the fuse, cleaning it up so I could try & see what rating it was with my magnifying glass. It looked like 104 degrees so I visited my local electronics parts supplier & purchased a replacement (the closest rating I could get was 98 degrees) for the grand sum of 33p+VAT.

8: I carefully replaced the fuse & the wiring & tested the motor with the help of a friend adjusting the switch speeds while I held the blower (careful with you fingers). All OK so now it is just a case of putting it back how it came out.

Hope this helps, Tony........

·
Registered
14 Posts
i had poor heater in my 1.6 rxe.checked cabin/pollen filter and found it was badly crudded up.tried heater without filter and its working perfectly.so check filter!

·
Registered
14 Posts
check pollen/cabin filter.i had exactly same problem.took filter out.turned heater on and loads of blow from heater.it was obvious anyway as you could see filter was rotten dirty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, have just read this post and Im having the same problem, I have just had the aircon regased and when the car came back the fan speed very slow, but when its on no4 it runs at full speed and it sounds like theres alot of air blowing behind the passenger air bag. Does any one know how to fix this?? I would be very greatfull for any info. thanks
The car is a 2000 clio 1.9dci

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cleaned black muk off fan motor where the brushes make contact on armature used cotton buds with metho worked again Tim dean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts