Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I've not even collected my Clio yet (3 weeks and counting!) but I like to plan in advance.

I'm guessing that the standard Headunit and CD player won't be able to play MP3 files from a CD, and so I've been looking on Hellfrauds at the ICE section. I don't want a really loud sound system, just one that won't break the bank, but will give good sound quality and if you hadn't guessed, will play MP3s from a CD/RW disc.

Will replacing the Headunit, and door speakers provide what I'm looking for? Or will I need 6x9s or a Sub and Amp?

Also - How badly could this affect my insurance? My sister currently pays £1550 for 9 months with NUD on her Saxo VTR (Alloys, Bodykit, Twin exit tailpipes) but I don't think my Dad declared the Headunit, front speakers and 6x9s...I'm not sure if I just thought this up (More than likely, however) but I think my Dad said that NUD said it wouldn't change the premium.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Insurance wise it really depends on the company, your car is quiet new so I would try 4youngdrivers or something like that as they are usally really cheap for newer cars but it really does depend, they were not that good for my older clio.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the wattage of the standard speakers? Is it ok to just replace the headunit? Or would this run the risk of blowing the speakers due to the wrong wattage?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I replaced my Head Unit a couple of years ago with a Sony Xplod. It doesn't play MP3's, but it does the trick. It is 50Wx4, and seems fine with the standard speakers (although I did replace the front speakers when a matching set for my head unit came up cheap!) It depends if you're planning on playing it load tho...

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
If you are not after LOUD sounds then the factory fitted speakers should do the job ok. If you want a better clarity of sound then I suggest you change the speakers along with the head unit. You can pick up decent enough speakers for around the £30 mark, also consider 3-way speakers if you are changing. You can get 3-way speakers without the need for seperate crossovers.

Again if you don't want LOUD sounds then forget the amp and sub, it would be pointless!

My personal opinion on rear speakers is to go for the round type not the 6x9's. Problem with the 6x9's is you would have to mount them on the parcel shelf which advertises the fact you may have a half decent system worth nicking, even if it's not!

Again though, it is all down to personal taste:)

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a gormless loony (Like one such person who owns a lime green Nova just near me) who wants loud incoherent music, but clarity does appeal. Looking at Halfrauds website, I'm considering this Kenwood as it looks quite well feature packed for the price.

Now for the speakers. From what I've read, it seems front and back door speakers are 13cm in the Mk2 ph2 Clio - Is this correct?

If so, which would you recommend from here as 2 way, dual cone and co-axial mean nothing to me!

Thanks so far! :d

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
The Kenwood looks very good for the price. It does exactly what it says on the tin I suppose:) .

Have a look here for anything audio. There are links down the right hand side of the page which explain everything you would ever need to know about car audio:)

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
most clio III do not come with a mp3 compatible headunit but it is an optional extra.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys :)

I went into my local Car shop today to look at some of their Headunits, and saw that they had a Panasonic (CQ-C1313 I think) for £79.99 - It seems nearly much the same as the Kenwood at Halfords, and it is closer than Halfords is to me.

I got talking with the owner of the shop and he said that to get the steering wheel controls to work I would need an adapter. Fair enough...He then said it would cost about £50...Am I right in thinking these are what he was talking about? If so, which one would I need? I don't want to be stung for a lead that I could get for about £15 from Halfords.

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
£50 is definately a bit steep for a lead!.£15-£20 is more like it.Our local Halfords is very helpfull when it comes to matching the right leads to the right car,so I'd probably get it from them.Things seem to have moved on quite a lot at Halfords in the last few years,and they seem to have started to employ some half decent people!

I personally don't rate Panasonic car audio,but thats only my opinion.I would buy the Kenwood unit,but each to their own.:)

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What drew me towards it was the fact that:

A) It was the cheapest

B) I've got a Panasonic radio that's over 20 years old and still merrily commentating the cricket on Longwave

C) The shop is about a 10 minute walk or 2 minute drive away from where I live if anything goes wrong

I've still got an idea to go with the Kenwood at Halfords, but I'm just weighing up my options :) Also, how long do they normally take to fit a headunit at Halfords?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will the headunit fit directly into the new Clio III, because I have one and it is an odd shaped headunit. not standard size fitting.

If so, can you get an surround from Halfords because I can't find a fascia or radio surround for the clio III anywhere...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any indication on manufacturers or who to contact about when it would be available, otherwise Clio III owners are stuck with stock sound for a while...

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right. I got my Clio today, and cannot for the life of me figure out what I need from the Halfrauds site wiring wise. I would like the Radio Remote to work, but on their site there are "Wiring Harnesses" and "Smart Leads". Which of these would I need? And are they specific to the Headunit as well as the car?

Cheers! :)

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
If possible I would visit them in person as not everything is listed on their website and instore they do have a FEW staff that are clued up on this and would be able to show you everything you would need

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tankface can you confirm you have the new look Clio III 2005+ model? If so what are you doing about the Fascia/Surround and VDO?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hehe. I was wondering when someone was going to ask me that. I don't know how this thread became labelled for the Clio III, as in my original post of this thread, I stated it was about my Clio II.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts