Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
foglights on a clio any help appreciated

Hi all to start with i would just like to say i am not one of those people who drive with their fog lights on when its not needed!

I recently got some foglights for my 1998 clio (S reg). i have put them on but without wiring them (just to look cool)

i would really like to get them wired but do not have the stalk with the front fog option.

could i get them wired to a seperate switch in the car instaed of buying a stalk.

if so how much should the wiring cost (i have some wires with fog lights) and does any body know someone in birmingham who can do it?

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The only tricky parts are running a wire through from the engine bay to the passenger compartment, and finding somewhere to put a switch without butchering the dash.

Wiring the lights is a doddle. You'll need a standard automotive relay rated to at least 16 amps.

Take a power feed from something that switches on with the side lights. You can do this under the bonnet (and run two wires through to the car) or tap into an interior circuit, such as the instrument dimming wire on the stereo loom.

Feed this through your switch and back out to the engine compartment. Connect it to one side of the coil of the relay and connect the other side to a good ground.

Connect the chassis of the fog lamp bulb holders to ground, then run a wire from the positive tail on each bulb and join them at one side of the switching contacts of the relay. Run the other side of the relay contacts via a suitable fuse directly to battery positive.

It's probably not strictly legal, but I once wired one of my cars fogs to a three position switch - the centre position was off, while one of the others made them come on with the side lights and the other made them come on with the main beam. In the second position, your fog lights flashed with your main beam. They also lit up the road markings quite nicely if you were driving on an unlit country road at night with your main beams on.

I'd use at least 17 amp wire and a 15 amp fuse. You can get all the bits from your local Halfords or similar shops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fitting Front Fog Lights to Grande '99 mk2

Hey guys, im new here so take it easy on me :D

I just got bought a clio mk2 1.2 1999 for my birthday/christmas.

It is the grande and it doesnt have fog lights but does have the holes for the foglights.. I was wondering if I could fit some foglights if i found the right ones.
Is the wiring, fusebox etc made so it will fit the front fogs?

Any idea on how i would do it and if anyone has any for sale to fit the mk2?

Thanks in advance
Ross
:D

Note: Im only 17 so the cheaper the better as insurance is pricy enough :S D:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I on my Clio I have two plastic cover caps over the front of my bumper where foglights can be installed, I also have the foglight switch on my control panel which must mean there is a connection to do this properly.

My question is does anyone know anything about installing foglights on this Clio, thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
the fog lights should be wired through the indicator stalk if you have the relays an wires in, not all cars have them if they arnt fitted standard, it isnt hard to wire yourself a new switch and put relay under the bonet an then the lights, just google how to fit spotlights/foglights an you should find a picture that explains how to do it,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts