Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, having issues with my 1.2 Clio.

The fuel pump died, which I have replaced with a brand new pump. Now when starting the car, I can hear the fuel pump prime and the car will start, but then dies after 30 secs or so or if I touch the accelerator pedal and try to raise the revs.

Thanks for your help

Paul

·
Super Moderator
13,565 Posts
Is there a way of bleeding the fuel line?
I may be wrong here, But....
Injected cars have TWO fuel pipes. A feed & a return.
The injectors take fuel as it passes. Therefore there can be No air in the system, as long as the fuel is being pumped.
My guess here, is that whilst the prime is working. The signal to keep the pump running, whilst the engine spins is not. Probably a relay damaged when the pump failed.
An expert will pop up soon.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,663 Posts
Hi, having issues with my 1.2 Clio.

The fuel pump died, which I have replaced with a brand new pump. Now when starting the car, I can hear the fuel pump prime and the car will start, but then dies after 30 secs or so or if I touch the accelerator pedal and try to raise the revs.

Thanks for your help

Paul
What year is your clio,,,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help so far.

The car is 2000

I replaced the 2 slim relays to the right of the battery that are in the plastic box

·
37,663 Posts
No other problems before, you needed to change the fuel pump..
Have you checked the fuses, two of them run the fuel pump, one feeds the inertia switch to the fuel pump, and one feeds the relay, to the vss sensor, and engine ecu
In the engine bay fuse box, these are located..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before the fuel pump issues, the car ran perfectly. Only had 1 problem before, which was the immobiliser, but I bought the plug in bypass and not had problems with that since.

Will check the fuses in the engine bay tonight.

Does the fuel pump have to be primed at all? When the pump failed, the car was quite low on fuel, so I have since filled it up to halfway. Worth completely filling the tank?

·
Super Moderator
13,565 Posts
I may be wrong here, But....
Injected cars have TWO fuel pipes. A feed & a return.
The injectors take fuel as it passes. Therefore there can be No air in the system, as long as the fuel is being pumped.
Does the fuel pump have to be primed at all? When the pump failed, the car was quite low on fuel, so I have since filled it up to halfway. Worth completely filling the tank?
NO. to both.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked the fuses this morning and all fine, I can hear rhe fuel pump running and rhen turns off when the car dies

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After trying a few tjmes to start the car, the batttery died. Jumped it off my other car and it now starts and runs. Its very sluggish and completely undrivable, but have had the car running for 30 mins. Get rhe battery replaced?

·
37,663 Posts
Do you have a multimeter,, check your charging system first..
Your battery, and your car was ok ,,, before the fuel pump issue....
How long was your car " Down " before you sourced and replaced your pump.
Could it not all be down to dirty connections.....
Would you not have put a lot of strain on the battery ,,, trying to get it start, initially ....
What symptoms do you have now, in its " undriveable "

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately not at home, will have to grab one from work.

Car has been sat from aporox a month. No issues before the fuel pump.

When driving, the car has no power and wont rev. If revving when sationary, it will struggle to rev smoothly and afterwards the revs will drop right down and nearly stall or will stall.

I changed the coil pack, worth changing the leads?

·
37,663 Posts
Clean your throttle body....... and tdc sensor, go from there.
If it was a plug/lead/coil would be missing,

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Unfortunately not at home, will have to grab one from work.

Car has been sat from aporox a month. No issues before the fuel pump.

When driving, the car has no power and wont rev. If revving when sationary, it will struggle to rev smoothly and afterwards the revs will drop right down and nearly stall or will stall.

I changed the coil pack, worth changing the leads?
Sounds like a bad MAP sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tdc cleaned and throttle body now cleaned. The car seems happier at idle now, but still the same issue that it doesn't want to rev and that I can't drive the car at all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Making progress.

New map sensor fitted and I can slowly drive the car and get to about 40mph, but no more. Can rev the car stationary, smoothly and without any issues. All the connectors have been sprayed with wd40, is there anything else worth trying?

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
Making progress.

New map sensor fitted and I can slowly drive the car and get to about 40mph, but no more. Can rev the car stationary, smoothly and without any issues. All the connectors have been sprayed with wd40, is there anything else worth trying?
Was this an original renault sensor ...members have had issues using non originals

1 - 20 of 22 Posts