Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I’m a new driver and I passed my test about a month ago but not bought insurance yet due to going on holiday but I’m back now and have been looking at prices. Yesterday I wanted to clean my car so I moved it onto the pavement to wash it and as I was going to quickly move the car to wash the other side, an orange flashing light came on and I knew something was up. I know a little about cars so I thought to myself,”well the car hasn’t been driven in a month and I’ve only been on first and reverse gears so it must be because of high co2 emissions and I thought a drive around just cleaning the system would do the job. Of course I can’t do that yet because of insurance but later that night I researched on the reasoning for this light and it apparently has to do with misfire and could be very very costly fix as it has to do with the catalytic converter. I don’t understand how this could happen just after moving backwards and forwards 5metres a couple of times could do this. This morning I started the car and prayed to god that maybe it was just the exhaust temperature sensor playing up due to high revs but after 10 seconds of running the flashing light returned much to my dismay. My car is a 1.2 clio mk3 petrol 2009. Please if anyone could give any help on the cause and what it could mean for me I’d be so grateful , even just reassurance that it just needs to be driven around to get the engine warm again would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Amine11

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,807 Posts
Chances are it simply needs a good blow out... once you have insurance.
Plan on a motorway run or somewhere similar where you can give it 10 miles or so at medium-high revs and a cruise home.
Could be coils/plugs
Unlikely to be CAT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chances are it simply needs a good blow out... once you have insurance.
Plan on a motorway run or somewhere similar where you can give it 10 miles or so at medium-high revs and a cruise home.
Could be coils/plugs
Unlikely to be CAT.
Thank you so much that’s a huge relief for me I was really scared a new converter was needed nd more money down the drain before I even start driving. Thanks alot mate means so much 👍🏼👍🏼

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
Or try charging the battery up first. A good run out should do it either. Sitting for a month it will have depleted a bit. That will have a greater or lesser effect depending on the battery age and car sensors hate nothing more than low charge levels. When you go to crank they get upset because the voltage has dropped and put on all sorts of false alarms.
Some alarms could take three operating cycles of the car to clear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or try charging the battery up first. A good run out should do it either. Sitting for a month it will have depleted a bit. That will have a greater or lesser effect depending on the battery age and car sensors hate nothing more than low charge levels. When you go to crank they get upset because the voltage has dropped and put on all sorts of false alarms.
Some alarms could take three operating cycles of the car to clear.
Ok thanks and what do you mean by operating cycles ? Like drives ??

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
Start, up to temperature, stop, cool down. Rinse repeat :)
Not all alarms are like this, just a selected few like over temperature and it's different on different cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Start, up to temperature, stop, cool down. Rinse repeat :)
Not all alarms are like this, just a selected few like over temperature and it's different on different cars.
Ahh ok thank you very much will definitely try out and let you guys know 👍🏼

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys I was also going to say , is it normal to smell petrol when you start the car ? This has always been the case so I thought maybe it was normal and nothing serious but could that be an underlying symptom for a severe problem or am I just waffling ?? Thanks

·
22,807 Posts
No, it's not normal to smell petrol.
Whether major or not depends where it is coming from.
Likely, given what you have said to us anyway is unburnt fuel being stuffed out of the exhaust.
It needs an Italian Tune Up (drive it like you stole it...carefully as a new driver please) and possibly coils/plugs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, it's not normal to smell petrol.
Whether major or not depends where it is coming from.
Likely, given what you have said to us anyway is unburnt fuel being stuffed out of the exhaust.
It needs an Italian Tune Up (drive it like you stole it...carefully as a new driver please) and possibly coils/plugs
Ok, noted. To be honest I’ve been driving for about 4 years so I know how to drive confidently but I only turned 17 this year which is why I only passed this year so don’t worry I’ll be solid behind the wheel ahaha, thanks though 👍🏼

·
22,807 Posts
It is not your confidence or indeed your ability I worry on.
It is your experience.
Tis easy to drive fast, tis easy to control a car, it is when it is all put together with all the other idiots on the road, plus speed cameras and cops that new drivers come unstuck.
If I may pass on advice I was given when I passed my test.... my instructor's first words, "well done, now you can learn how to drive"
WTF is he talking about thinks I.
I can drive, just passed my test haven't I ?
Took me more then a few years of trying to kill myself (and others) for me to realise what he meant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is your experience.
Tis easy to drive fast, tis easy to control a car, it is when it is all put together with all the other idiots on the road, plus speed cameras and cops that new drivers come unstuck.
If I may pass on advice I was given when I passed my test.... my instructor's first words, "well done, now you can learn how to drive"
Took me more then a few years of trying to kill myself (and others) for me to realise what he meant.
Yeah I understand and it’s true of course I am packing experience and I’m sure I’ll learn some new things whilst driving that cannot be taught by an instructor so thanks for that advice, I will try my best to keep careful 🙏🏼

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
It is your experience.
My driving instructor used to tap me on the back of the hand for guarding the gearstick between changes. 35 years on I can still feel it if I hesitate. I'd love to do it to my OH sometimes but I find the passenger seat more comfortable than tarmac.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts