Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a used M reg 95 clio 1.2 les routiers which up until yesterday I was unaware had an alarm/immobiliser!!:eek:

I had to disconnect the battery to replace the indicator stalk switch - no problems, but on reconnecting the battery an almighty alarm sounded scaring the living daylights out of me and upsetting all the neighbours!!

I had no idea there was an alarm - stupid you might think but it happens, the guy I bought it off 3 months ago never mentioned it.

Anyway the only way I could get the alarm to stop was to disconnect the battery again. I dont have central locking so just have a bog standard manual key to open the doors.

To cut a long story short, upon further investigation, I have discovered what I can only assume is a factory (renault printed on it) fitted alarm/immobiliser unit attached to the battery, with wiring attached to the indicators which also flash. The car will now not start (with battery connected obviously) and the alarm sounds when the door is opened making me think it is a combined immobiliser/alarm.

I have removed a fuse connected to the wiring of this unit to stop the alarm from sounding in the short term but the car is still immobilised. There seems to be a possible lock on this unit/place for some sort of key as it appears to indicate on and off but apparently I need a special key to reset or disarm this immobiliser??? Any ideas???:confused:

Manuals talk of keys or switches in the glove box but I can find nothing to help there. Other places talk of simply turning the key in the ignition to the second position before reconnecting the battery to reset alarm??? But surely this wont solve the problem and it could happen again without warning???

As my car is a 1995 I didnt expect it to be this complicated or to even have an alarm!!! Renault told my other half I need a key specific to my vehicle, which they could only povide if I could get the car to them with 17 proofs of identity and proof of ownership and then it would take a week to come and cost a small fortune - which is not ideal and plus how do I get an immobilsed car to a renault dealership in the first place???:confused:

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
faq still dont answer Q

Thanks

ButI have skimmed over all the FAQ stuff and a lot of the other posts on immobilisers but still cant find anything that relates to me.

The majority of stuff on here relates to cars with central locking and key fobs which activate alarms and immobilisers or the use of key codes which I dont have with my car.

But I will keep trying, although renault themselves seem pretty annoying, and local garages have all told me they wont touch it with a barge pole!!:mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem resolved

Hi,

Sorry been working nights since it happened.

I managed to get hold of a mobile alarm/immobiliser service who came to my house to have a look at it. Turns out it was an old gemini alarm/immobiliser unit that had been wired into the battery and the hazard lights. So I should have had a key fob to activate and deactivate the alarm/immobiliser unit, despite not having central locking, given to me when I bought the car but noone mentioned that at the time!

So the mobile alarm guy had to bypass the unit completely. He removed the unit for me which has a serial nuber on the side and apparently if I take it to a nearby dealer they can issue a new key fob for the immobiliser unit and reconnect it easily if I want to, but to be honest I dont think I want the hassle of having it there and judging by the posts on here about problems with immobilisers and leaking sun roofs - which I also have, then I think I will leave it disconnected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts