Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
This is regarding my wife's clio which we have only owned for about two weeks. Bought privately so taking it back is not an option. Besides, it's lovely when it's working and only has 41k on the clock.

Renault Clio (N plate) '94-'95.
1.4 RT Auto.

A few days ago after heavy rain, water started coming out of the Infra red sensor beneath the sunroof (manual), i now know this is very common in clios. I opened it up and dried it out. The next day the bugger wouldn't start- just a click from the engine (passenger side), but all electrics were on. So thinking it was the immobiliser (although no flashing immobiliser light) i took it all apart again- the circuit was badly corroded due to water damage but still intact, a trip to the breakers got me a new circuit, out of a scenic (i think it was anyway) from the same year, (the circuit is exactly the same) but obviously i couldn't use the plip on the key as i couldn't get it synced.

The car started ok after a couple of goes... YAY i thought.

Next day- dead again. But although it was a night of heavy rain, the inside where the circuit is was bone dry. My father in law said he thought it could be the battery... ok so i try jumping it with my jeep- it starts! Hurrah- i get a new battery with my last £50. Starts each time no problem. We took it out for the day, no worries. We breath a collective sigh of relief.

Next day- dead again. My brain is starting to fry from the effort of staying sane...

I tried jumping it again, it did maybe half a turn then refused to do anything. Now it's just sitting there sulking like a scolded child.

I keep thinking i'm an extra in "Herbie goes Bananas".

I have checked everything i can with my limited mechanical knowledge, fuses, connections etc. Could it be the starter motor? The cam belt was changed at 30k and the service history is good.

We really need it to be running without the fear of it stopping as my wife needs it to work and sometimes travels quite a way. Unfortunately we are not particularly flush, so any thoughts of taking it to renault are out!

Help us obi wan, your our only hope...

Thanks in advance!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,870 Posts
could be a bad earth try one of the jump leads from
earth side of battery to engine dont get it wrong.
or bad connection to starter give the wires on it a
little wiggle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be a bad earth try one of the jump leads from
earth side of battery to engine dont get it wrong.
or bad connection to starter give the wires on it a
little wiggle.
Thanks for the reply Ralph, i'm just going to try the earth thing now... which terminal do i connect it to, or is there a separate earth wire? It will most likely become clear when the offending article is in front of me.

Also...er... where is the starter motor? Although i have liberal amounts of common sense, engines and i have only recently become acquainted!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,870 Posts
Don't know were the starter is on your engine but
at the gear box end of the engine dont know if front
or back.
Earth is the - side of the battery should have a black
thick wire or maybe a black and gray, if you get a big
spark u got it wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok the earth thing had no effect and the engine still won't turn over.

Going to look for the starter again....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hurrah! It is fixed at last!

After a morning of tearing my hair out trying to get to the starter motor i finally gave in and phoned the AA. The guy came and put his hand in the engine right where i had been fiddling about with the starter motor and then it started! He said there was corrosion between the contacts on the "Exciter"? wire to the solenoid/starter motor wassname. He also said it was very common on these clios along with the leaky sunroof etc etc. So we turned it off and he gave it a going over with some emery paper until i can get it done proper like.

All in all- a happy day! As long as i don't wake up tomorrow to a dead car i'll be happy, chiefly because the wife will be happy and then life is always easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts