Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,
I am new to this forum and I registered because my mechanic is abroad until the end of this week and would like to know if the problem my car has is serious.

Basically, when i turn the steering wheel (both left and right), the steering does not centralise. It stops 90 degrees short everytime and the remaining quarter of a turn I have to help it. The steering feels a little bit stiff too in the last part. Both front tyres are new and their air pressure is good.

What could be the problem please? Is it a problem if I keep on driving until the end of this week with this problem?

Thanks a lot.

R

·
0 Posts
Re: Renault Clio Steering wheel problem

Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

Does you car have Power Assisted Steering? If it does I would check the PAS fluid level 1st.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks and thank you for your reply.

Yes it has power assisted steering but I'm not sure that I'm correct in this but my Clio 1.5 L diesel 14 2004 make does not use fluid for power steering but an electronic sensor of some sort.

As I said I might be wrong.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Two possibilities are a seized strut top bearing or partially seized steering colomn universal joint.It is slightly difficult to tell due to the electronic power steering,but when going from lock to lock with the car stationary does the steering feel notchy at all?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Lagdti for your reply. No the steering does not feel notchy at all. I simply hear a low squeeking sound. This morning it got slightly stiffer than yesterday even when turning to both sides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts