Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post on the forum. Wondering now if i did the right thing buying a clio yesterday, purchased a "T" plate 1.6si 16 valve yesterday, drove it home along the motorway when the rear wheel bearing started to groan, is it a common fault, :( ,was fine when i was driving in town,anything else i should be aware of on this model?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums.

Its a pity that you have encountered a problem so soon after purchase - the wheel bearing's condition wouldn't have been noticeable at the lower speeds in town (the heat wouldn't have been present until faster speeds).

I would suggest looking at the section of the forum dedicated to the Clio for more info (I'm not sure if wheel bearings are a particular issue - they wear out on all cars), but expertise is located within.

I'm sure the car will prove to be a sound purchase.

Paul:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Not a problem, just bear in mind (when you are reading of other folk's problems) that its not all doom & gloom, and that their problems are not necessarily going to happen to you. Its a bit like reading a Home Doctor book, you start off feeling well enough, but you start looking for symptoms....;) .

All the best with your new purchase, and hope you are a regular poster (for all the right reasons of course).

Paul:)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I have a 94 Clio. It's not all doom and Gloom. Wheel bearings have been an issue but for a car of that age expected and fairly cheap and easy to replace, sunroofs / arial leaks can be a common problem, ensure cambelt is changed at 72K and the heaters are prone to running cold due to air locks / blockages. Apart from that they are great little cars, easy to drive, pretty economical and mine has never really suffered from electronic glitches and the like.

Click the link in my sig for the Clio FAQ or click on "Clio Articles" in the side bar (it's the same thing) for a guide I am putting together for regular Clio questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Private sale unfortunately, but these things happen,hope i dont get used to saying that,will change the bearing at the weekend

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok,cheers chris. i bought the car with 56k on it ,fullservice history( whether that counts for anything or not)Impressed me on the mpg front, bodyworks good, purchased cheaply so i dont mind a bit of diy

S

·
0 Posts
Private sale unfortunately, but these things happen,hope i dont get used to saying that,will change the bearing at the weekend
Touch wood. If that's all you need to sort out in a 14 year old car, who's to complain! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Are you sure it is the bearings? Does it do it all the time at higher speeds or always on the same stretch of road/surface.

It may just be the tyres droaning on the road. If the road is worn or the tyres are slightly unevenly worn you can get a resonance type sound that sounds like a wheel bearing.
There is one stretch of road in particular that makes both our cars sound like the bearings are gone.

Unless you are absolutely sure try and experiment a bit, it might not be as bad as you think.

We had to change the tyres on our Focus even though they were hardly worn, but where they had worn they had worn unevenly and at 30 - 40 mph there was a horrible groaning/whine noise ( & it wasn't the wife or the kids)
New rear tyres and the noise went away.
Don't know why the tyres had worn though because they were already on the car when we bought it,had tracking,bearings, wheels themselves etc all checked & they were ok.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi oldgit, the N/S rear wheel bearing is quite common in Clio2's, not that expensive a fix, unfortunate to have a problem so soon.

hope it helps :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts