Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I've noticed that when I'm driving straight ahead the steering wheel is about 5-10 degrees to the left. It's a bit worrying to be honest!

Any ideas why, recently bought the car and just noticed.

Cheers, Steve.

ps You can add my name to the growing list of owners that have to replace the crank sensor!:mad:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there Steve, and welcome.

Its most likely to be something like a track rod end has been replaced, and the garage didn't set up(lock) the steering correctly.

It won't cause any harm to the car, if left. But you would need to get it re-aligned to cure the deviation from the straight ahead. Shop around for quotes - they will vary.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers paul, it just takes a bit of getting used to it for now. It's only noticeable if you are on A roads and motorways, at least that's my excuse for not realising the fault for 5 weeks.

Ahem, I'll get my coat......

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Don't worry about it mate - I'm just glad to put your mind at ease.

Budget for circa £20-£40 for the adjustment, if you can't put up with it any longer.

Paul:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome dude,i had same thing on me '97' when i bought it. I had the tracking done and it was sorted,its also a good idea to have it tracked as this evens ya tyre wear and steering.Also not too expensive.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
i wouldnt bother about it to be honest, i took mine to the renault dealer, and they simply reduced it, DIDNT fix it, just made it look abit better, and i then got new tryes from kwik-fit and had them to the tracking whilst they were at it, and also not quite right, but it still annoys the hell out of me, but you get used to it. the renault dealer charged me £40 to do it, kwik fit were £21.50 i think.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
i had it some youngster at the tyre place didn't clamp the steering wheel when he did the wheel alignment next time I got the wheels aligned £15 I just made sure they straightened it and clamped it first. Not a big deal but drove my wife mad.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I had it on my Scenic cost me £25 to have it put right.
Just a thought but has it got the original wheels on, as fitting bigger wheels and or tyres can cause the tracking to be out.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I'm not sure that the tracking can be altered by fitting aftermarket wheels (unless they are completely wrong in terms of offset), but wider wheels/tyres will magnify and highlight any deviation in the tracking itself.

Most tracking faults are caused by potholes & kerbing.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all.
I've noticed that when I'm driving straight ahead the steering wheel is about 5-10 degrees to the left. It's a bit worrying to be honest!

Any ideas why, recently bought the car and just noticed.

Cheers, Steve.

ps You can add my name to the growing list of owners that have to replace the crank sensor!:mad:
I have this too :) I've noticed it after month of driving. It's not a practical problem, it's more kind of a approach problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'd keep an eye on either the inner or front edges of your front tyres for wear. sounds like your tracking is wong. caused by the track rod ends not set up properly as already mentioned above or a kerb smack.

This causes the inner edges of one or both of your front tyres to wear QUICKLY. from my experience it normally cost about 25 to 30 quid to get your tracking realigned. if they check it with a laser rig and it says its normal, get it checked out as you could have something bent.

sorry if this sounds worrying but it is perfectly safe to drive but i know as well as you how annoying it is!

hope this helped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts